Compile In Windows
To compile FreeOrion you can use the MSVC 2010 IDE.
Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition may be downloaded for free from Microsoft.
If you are a student, you may also be elligable for Microsoft Dreamspark, which will give you the Professional version of MSVC 2010 or several other Microsoft programs.
The majority of FreeOrion dependencies can be found precompiled and packaged in the FreeOrion Windows SDK, from the SourceForge downloads page.
The SDK includes compiled libraries, headers and DLLs for: zlib, OGRE, bullet, Boost, FreeType, GLEW, libpng, libjpeg, OpenAL, ALUT, libvorbis, and libogg.
Other dependencies include:
- GiGi - Including GiGiOgre and GiGiOgrePlugin_OIS. These are available from a Subversion repository, and should be automatically checked out with FreeOrion code when using the FreeOrion SDK. The MSVC project files contain projects for the GiGi libraries that are needed by FreeOrion, and the DLLs .lib files will be placed in the FreeOrion folder when built. All GiGi dependencies are in the FreeOrion SDK and should be automatically found and used when GiGi is built.
- First, get the FreeOrion SDK from SourceForge.
- Check out the source code from SVN which should automatically also update GiGi.
- Open msvc2010\FreeOrion\FreeOrion.sln
- Use Build->Build Solution to build the three projects' release targets
Please report runtime errors in the forums.