Compile In Windows
- First, get the FreeOrion SDK from SourceForge. (~30MB)
- Check out the source code from SVN which should automatically also update GiGi. (~240MB)
(easiest route is to install Tortoise SVN, unzip the SDK downloaded in step 1 above, right click on the /FreeOrion folder, and chose SVN Update)
- Open FreeOrion\msvc2010\FreeOrion.sln
- Use Build->Build Solution to build the three projects' release targets (~1hour on Core i3 370M with 6GB RAM)
FreeOrion can be compiled on Windows with the Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2008 compilers. Premade Visual Studio 2010 project files are available in SVN, and the SDK provides precompiled dependencies for this compiler. Project files may also be generated using CMake. Visual Studio 2008 project files, and an SDK with VS 2008 dependencies, are also available, but may be out of date.
Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition may be downloaded for trial from Microsoft. If that link doesn't work even in IE, than use this English link. But after 30 days you have to register for free.On same page can be downloaded also VS 2008 Express Edition. Due to different registry keys being used, the Express Edition compiler may not be compatible with cmake, so if the newest version of cmake doesn't work, you'll have to use the project files to compile FreeOrion.
If you are a student, you may also be eligible for Microsoft Dreamspark, which will give you the Professional version of MSVC 2010 or several other Microsoft programs.
Also, if you are a student you should check out if your university takes part in the MSDNAA (Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance). You might be able to get Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and other very pricy software for free or at some places a small administrative fee (like 5€ to get access for a semester)
The majority of FreeOrion dependencies can be found precompiled and packaged in the FreeOrion Windows SDK, from the SourceForge FreeOrion SDK page.
The SDK includes compiled libraries, headers and DLLs for: zlib, OGRE, Python, bullet, Boost, FreeType, GLEW, libpng, libjpeg, OpenAL, ALUT, libvorbis, and libogg.
Other dependencies include:
- GiGi - Including GiGiOgre and GiGiOgrePlugin_OIS. These are available from a Subversion repository, and should be automatically checked out with FreeOrion code when using the FreeOrion SDK. The MSVC project files contain projects for the GiGi libraries that are needed by FreeOrion, and the DLLs .lib files will be placed in the FreeOrion folder when built. All GiGi dependencies are in the FreeOrion SDK and should be automatically found and used when GiGi is built. If building FreeOrion using cmake, GiGi but must be built from source and installed.
Please report runtime errors in the forums.