Twenty-seventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Twenty-seventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#136 Post by LienRag »

Oh, good !
I didn't understand that the RSS channel worked even when connected, maybe Skyflare didn't either ?

susflare
Space Krill

#137 Post by susflare »

o01eg wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:38 pm
LienRag wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:27 am Any way to do that ?
There is the RSS channel for anyone either connected or disconnected.
The RSS feed doesn't warn about being the last player remaining, it only shows when turns are finished (which I get from fgd)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#138 Post by Oberlus »

Thanks again for waiting for me.
Tic toc tic toc...

o01eg
Programmer

#139 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:33 pm Thanks again for waiting for me.
Tic toc tic toc...
Welcome back!
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-06-27.1d5cc18.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Atreides
Dyson Forest

#140 Post by Atreides »

Hi guys, I posted this in the wrong forum.

An unnamed player lost around 200 PP when a very costly building that was near completion got completely lost as the planet rebelled and went independent. Considering that this may be somewhat logical due to the way the code handles transfer of planets on one hand, and independence on the other hand; but that this behavior isn't documented anywhere, and as such can't be said to have been entirely predictable, what would be the players' consensus on what to do about this situation ?

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#141 Post by BlueAward »

Atreides wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:57 am Hi guys, I posted this in the wrong forum.

An unnamed player lost around 200 PP when a very costly building that was near completion got completely lost as the planet rebelled and went independent. Considering that this may be somewhat logical due to the way the code handles transfer of planets on one hand, and independence on the other hand; but that this behavior isn't documented anywhere, and as such can't be said to have been entirely predictable, what would be the players' consensus on what to do about this situation ?
Don't think we can decide for you, that's your/their game (hey Atreides why won't you join us next game? :mrgreen: ) so it depends on the court of their peers mostly?

Is it PvP? PvE? Is it early game when 200 PP is several turns of production, or not even one turn of production? Was the rebellion preventable? Are they so salty they gonna flip the table and say they stop playing? You want to build some goodwill in case something like that happens to you? Will it open can of worms when people start asking for rerolls too much?

I certainly sympathize with the player, had my share of bullshit happen, tho usually suck it up, kinda counting bullshit spreads around anyway:D though one time wobbly graciously offered turn rollback when due to unclarity of how blockades work (or escaping from ones), or even outright lies by GUI, I lost majority of my fleet on front with him.. I prolly wouldn't dig myself out of that hole, and reroll allowed me to retreat properly

In practice yeah you can rollback to some earlier state or maybe everybody sacrifices some production to even up, but up to the players really of the particular game

Atreides
Dyson Forest

#142 Post by Atreides »

Ahhh, it's a question about _this_ game. I'm a neutral (plays Swiss anthem) proxy for someone.

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#143 Post by BlueAward »

Well if that's any consolation, I've lost over 200 PP to random bullshit this game too. 80 PP for bugged/ineffective nest eradication, and more for couple of ships I expected to stay stealthy in passive mode that claims they do not shoot in battle but no, it actually means they do not initiate battle but if third parties dish it out at the location, they are happy to join in despite the orders/stance. Ah well.. while slightly salty about the newt eradication, I should've probably known by now that the passive stance is not what it says on the tin

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#144 Post by Oberlus »

This has nothing to do with bugs, but I crashed my two starting warships against a Dyson Forest because I didn't notice the 120 dmg per shot of the natives planet under the forest.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#145 Post by Ophiuchus »

BlueAward wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:31 pm stay stealthy in passive mode that claims they do not shoot in battle but no, it actually means they do not initiate battle but if third parties dish it out at the location, they are happy to join in despite the orders/stance.
What you describe sounds like Defensive Hide.
Passive stance should not fight at all, even if those hidden ships get shot to smithereens. If your ships were on passive stance and fighting that is a bug.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#146 Post by BlueAward »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:45 pm
BlueAward wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:31 pm stay stealthy in passive mode that claims they do not shoot in battle but no, it actually means they do not initiate battle but if third parties dish it out at the location, they are happy to join in despite the orders/stance.
Passive stance should not fight at all, even if those hidden ships get shot to smithereens. If your ships were on passive stance and fighting that is a bug.
Yeah.. I am fairly sure I was dragged into a fight between a monster and an enemy planet, where neither of the parties should have seen my stealthy passive ships. But can't be certain until I repro privately (cause stealth is a lot of mental load, and I lost ships before to overlooking something like star effect or monster that actually could see me waltzing in... Or accidentally dropping passive mode... But I think nothing like that was a case here)

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#147 Post by BlueAward »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:45 pm
OK and what you reckon about this: fleets in passive hide, not visible to monster, over my planet. Monster engages planet, my ships jump into the fight. This again sounds like defensive hide, not passive hide! Maybe less controversial because in this scenario planet is mine, not third party, but still!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#148 Post by LienRag »

I lost 125 PP because I forgot that the swap between DMF and Macro Monsters Ecology (or whatever) meant that the White Kraken wouldn't spawn in the same conditions as in earlier game, but that's on me I guess, as the Oberlus and BlueAward's misshaps are on them.
I also had a few losses because I never played with monsters staying on systems before, and the Galaxy shape makes them prone to severely deconnecting parts of Empire, but again that's on me, the rules were clearly established, me being unable to understand their consequences is not a lack of documentation.

BA's disappearing Nest Eradicator is a bug, though, and I voted for him to get a refund.

The problem of course is that as the game advances quite fast this time, a late refund isn't going to fully restore the balance.
And restoring the game to turn 100 or something like that is not really fun I guess (though it would allow me to avoid gifting a free White Kraken to an unnamed but not uncolored opponent, so I'm not totally against it).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#149 Post by Oberlus »

My stance about bugs is that it ain't that important who wins so I don't really mind, but I'll happily go with people's decisions on whatever.

BlueAward
Juggernaut

#150 Post by BlueAward »

Well thank you, I am enjoying my own pet Kraken indeed (though wasn't entirely free, I had to research the taming tech, and... Take custody of the xenoresurrection lab you graciously built for me)

Yeah the High Monsters setting acts bit like a filter. First order of business was to do pest control in your corner I think, so bit of PvE initially. Normal monsters prolly would be more PvP earlier, and low monsters especially would make the middle a promised land rather than harsh wilderness.