Topics for online voice chat meeting February 27th 2024

Topic threads for our monthly online voice chat meetings
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Topics for online voice chat meeting February 27th 2024

#1 Post by Vezzra »

This is the topics thread for our next online voice chat meeting on Tuesday, February 27th 2024.

Please post suggestions for topics and discuss them here.

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Topics for online voice chat meeting February 27th 2024

#2 Post by o01eg »

Bug-fix release.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-06-27.1d5cc18.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by wobbly »

Infrastructure

viewtopic.php?t=12953

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by wobbly »

Universal guidelines for species, industrialism and technocracy bonuses:

https://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12984

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by wobbly »

I'm going to have to be a maybe, I'm basically on the opposite side of the world to everyone else, so depends if I'm awake.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

We discussed the 0.5.0.1 bugfix release. Grummel has fixed the last PR (#4832) which was holding it up, so that that PR could finally be merged. Meaning, we can proceed with the bugfix release now. Next weeks test builds will be 0.5.0.1 RC1.

Regarding infrastructure: The actual issue is with the Augmentation policy, which apparently does not really work the way it should. The consensus was that instead of giving a bonus to growth when infrastructure is high, and a malus to growth when it is low, it should grant a minimum pop of 1 or 2 on each colony regardless of habitability. Which means even hostile planets become colonizable, which was kind of the point of the original Cyborgs tech.

Also, regarding infrastructure in general, we once again (like again and again in the last years) came to the conclusion that we need to do something meaningful with infrastructure, as right now it's kind of neglected.

Regarding guidelines for bonuses: Apparently right now the way a lot of bonuses work is confusing for players. For one the documentation is lacking, but there also is a lack of consistency in the pattern of how they work. Apparently it's sometimes mixed up if a bonus is a species bonus, if it applies only if a certain focus is set or independent of focus setting, if it's flat etc. This seems to stem from the order in which bonuses get applied. There is a wish that the different kind of bonuses should follow a more simple, intuitively understandable pattern.

Consensus was that yes, this is an issue which needs to be addressed, but needs more discussion here on the forum (in the relevant threads) about how to properly address it.

PR#4872 was brought to attention. I will try to find the time to look into it.

If I forgot anything, or anyone who attended yesterday wants to add something, please post your comments.