Topics for online voice chat meeting November 28th 2023

Topic threads for our monthly online voice chat meetings
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Topics for online voice chat meeting November 28th 2023

#1 Post by Vezzra »

This is the topics thread for our next online voice chat meeting on Tuesday, November 28th 2023.

Please post suggestions for topics and discuss them here.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Topics for online voice chat meeting November 28th 2023

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

As usual (I hope I make it this time): automatic snap releases
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

o01eg
Programmer

#3 Post by o01eg »

Bug-fix release.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-06-27.1d5cc18.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Sorry for dropping out on such short notice, but I won't attend the meeting today.

Altough I'm still sick, I was doing well enough the last couple of days, so I thought it would be no problem for me to join in. But right now I'm not feeling so great.

Hopefully you're still enough to have a productive meeting!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Was just me and o01eg.

Briefly discussed the current multiplayer game and if there was anything I should comment on, but apparently not. Maybe a pull request with suggested changes is coming soon?

Without Vezzra, not much point in discussing release.

I'm not sure if I understood him, but I think he was busy suddenly? Regardless, he left after 10 min. I'll stay in the room for a bit in case someone wants to join, though I'm not sure if I can actually act as a moderator to let people join...

At 19:30 Oberlus joined. Has some opinions about stuff after influence. He used to be good at the game, now is bad with all the new mechanics that he doesn't fully understand. New changes are more nonlinear, so predicting changes is more difficult. He dislikes minimum values of stability for various effects to work. It's harder to just play the game now. I noted that there are balance rules, like boosting default stability, in case one wants to not have to worry about it as much. He mentioned there was an old pull request that added a tutorial to help people learn the current mechanics, which might help get new players. Mentioned that he tried Stellaris, which has a bunch of good stuff, but FreeOrion has some advantages, in particular with luck and snowballing if one luckily picks the right strategy. Mostly policies and influence stuff is good, in his opinion. Briefly discussed setting up a deep learning system to act as AI players. I suggested that training it on recorded player inputs is impractical due to not having enough training data, and rather one would need to have some intermediate goal / cost functions to train the AI to increase, and have it train by playing the game against that, and then maybe adapt that into a workable player AI.