Old Releases on Sourceforge

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Old Releases on Sourceforge

#16 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:50 am I think they have financial problems and are not running numbers or trying to apply a systematic policy, just contact projects and ask for maximum frugality.
That may be, but makes it difficult to comply with their requests. Especially when threatening to remove old files if you don't remove "enough" yourself they should provide a bit more tangible information what they consider "enough". Terms like "substantial amounts" do not meet that criteria (IMHO).
I suggest removing all test builds older than 6 months every 6 months (so maximum 1 year). Right now they are storing 1.5 years of tests builds.
Sounds reasonable. However, I'd like to know if that will be sufficient, before getting hit by their next notification in two weeks time telling me "nope, that wasn't enough, we now went ahead and deleted old files we consider not important anymore". And then have maybe the old 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 releases deleted instead of even more test builds removed.

It's not that I don't understand their problems, and that I'm not willing to comply - after all, we use their service completely free of charge. But there has to be some minimum effort on their side to cooperate with us that goes beyond "please delete some stuff, if you don't delete enough, we are going to decide what stuff gets deleted". I don't think that's too much to ask... ;)
Edit: BTW, test builds are seldom used after a month from their publication.
Test builds older than a month are usually useful if some bug gets reported that turns out to have been around for a long(er) time. In these cases asking the players reporting the issue to try out the older test builds and report which is the latest without the issue and which the first with the issue proved to be helpful to narrowing down the set of commits which introduced the problem. Especially since not everyone is able to build FO on their systems and do a git bisect. The farther back we keep test builds, the farther back we can track down bugs this way.

Well, lets wait and see what results Geoffs request for clarification yields...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by LienRag »

LibreEnCommun offers free storage for free projects...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out.
We currently don't have a hard limit on storage, and after reviewing your current storage usage, we won't be removing anything further.
We appreciate your cooperation

However, it's always a good idea to periodically review and trim any content that's no longer necessary.
We may revisit this in the future, so feel free to tidy up as needed.
Let us know if you have any questions or need assistance!

Sincerely,

SourceForge Support

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, good to know.

Nevertheless, @Geoff: Shall we adopt Oberlus proposal and periodically delete all test builds older than 6 months? Do you think the test builds of the last 6 months will be sufficient for the tracking down bugs business?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I suppose it's too much trouble to keep them less frequently but still occasionally for older than some time? Like weekly until 6 months, then monthly for the next 2 years?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:46 am I suppose it's too much trouble to keep them less frequently but still occasionally for older than some time? Like weekly until 6 months, then monthly for the next 2 years?
Maintaining such a retention scheme manually would be quite tedious I think. If it could be automated though... anyone any ideas...?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#22 Post by wobbly »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:14 pm Ok, good to know.

Nevertheless, @Geoff: Shall we adopt Oberlus proposal and periodically delete all test builds older than 6 months? Do you think the test builds of the last 6 months will be sufficient for the tracking down bugs business?
I have found bugs that were introduced over 6 months ago, before. Though technically I can build from source if its a drama to keep older test builds.