Sly & Gaia special - prevent type cycling & devalue for colonization

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

rrobgill
Space Krill

Sly & Gaia special - prevent type cycling & devalue for colonization

#1 Post by rrobgill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:16 am

There is some strangeness when Sly colonize a planet with the Gaia special.

1. At present the planet cycles through the planet types never stopping. Clearly Sly will never reach good suitability on a non-gaseous planet.

2. When evaluating planets for Colonization, the AI presently treats a Gaia special as favorable for Sly, even though Sly receives no benefit from it.

Exobots also receive no benefit from Gaia specials. When they inhabit a planet with a Gaia special, the planet type does not transform.
The Colonization AI devalues the Gaia special when evaluating planets for Colonization by Exobots. A similar approach can be taken with Sly.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Sly & Gaia special - prevent type cycling & devalue for colonization

#2 Post by Ophiuchus » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:12 am

Thanks for putting up the issue #3001 (and PR)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.

labgnome
Juggernaut

Re: Sly & Gaia special - prevent type cycling & devalue for colonization

#3 Post by labgnome » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:43 pm

It's been suggested before over here to completely re-work the way terraforming works. While there might be a shorter term solution I think that it's worth looking into again for the longer term.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.