collecting ideas for new fields

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

collecting ideas for new fields

#1 Post by The Silent One » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:42 pm

Having recently redone some field/nebula graphics, I thought it would be fun to have a larger variety of fields in-game. They're not too hard to code (if you know some .focs), and I've put up an example here: https://github.com/TheSilentOne1/freeor ... nite_swarm, a nanite swarm that heals ships near it. Let's create some more fields! Write down all your crazy field ideas here, and then let's select the best ones and put them in the game.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: collecting ideas for new fields

#2 Post by Oberlus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Space/Meteor Blizzard
Ships within the field receive some damage per turn.
If shields are ignored, ok, but then two fields would be worse for shielded ships than for unshielded.
If shields are not ignores, ok too, but seems interesting to me that shielded ships would have an advantage in such fields.
I think this should be faster to dissipate than other fields, to avoid being too harsh on static fleets.

Void Rift
Ships can't pick starlanes that are affected by this field. Ships trapped within this field have their speed set to zero (so if caught in a starlane, they will be stuck in there until field goes off.
Alternatively, travel could be allowed but at a big loss of speed (-80%, or -60 or similar). Or this could be a different field.

Hidrogene Cloud
Fuel resupply for ships spending a turn on a system affected by the cloud.

Electromagnetic Fog
Something to disable/hinder fighters but not guns with the rationale that fighter maneuvering/comunnication/organisation is crippled.

The Silent One
Graphics

#3 Post by The Silent One » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 pm

Meteor Blizzard (phoenix asteroids :wink: )
Attachments
comets.jpg
comets.jpg (186.48 KiB) Viewed 383 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:12 am

Updated branch above with meteor blizzard. Besides the damage, I gave it +1 research per ship in storm (zealous observers) so empires low on research may actually want to put some sturdy ships in there to generate themselves some RP.

labgnome
Vacuum Dragon

#5 Post by labgnome » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Gravity Well
Found around Neutron Stars or Black Holes. Increases speed by 4x for approaching ships, decreases speed by 1/4x for leaving ships.

Psionic Field/Psionic Rift
Reduces shields to 50% on ships of regular species. Reduces shields to 25% and causes hull damage for ships of telepathic species.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 pm

labgnome wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 pm
Gravity Well
Found around Neutron Stars or Black Holes. Increases speed by 4x for approaching ships, decreases speed by 1/4x for leaving ships.
I think that's currently not possible with FOCS.

Code: Select all

stackinggroup = "METEOR_BLIZZARD_SHIP_EFFECTS"
            effects = [
                SetStructure value = Value - Round(MaxStructure * 0.1)
                SetResearch value = 1
            ]
This isn't working, is there a way to round in FOCS?

The Silent One
Graphics

#7 Post by The Silent One » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 am

The Silent One wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 pm
This isn't working, is there a way to round in FOCS?
Solution was that I needed to put "Target." before MaxStructure:

Code: Select all

SetStructure value = Value - (Target.MaxStructure * 0.1)

labgnome
Vacuum Dragon

#8 Post by labgnome » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 pm

The Silent One wrote:
labgnome wrote:
Gravity Well
That's a shame. I would like a "falling in" effect for black holes and neutron stars.

Then what about a time dilation field that just slows speed?
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:54 pm

labgnome wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 pm
That's a shame. I would like a "falling in" effect for black holes and neutron stars.

Then what about a time dilation field that just slows speed?
Something like the effect of the Spatial Distortion Generation, but with the effect reversed so that it attracts instead of repeal (search for "DISTORTION_MOVEMENT_STACK" in advanced_focus.macros)

That way ships fast enough would not be affected.

If we want all ships to be affected, maybe a mixture of that FOCS code (to differentiate if the ships is approaching or leaving the system), but instead of moving the ship (MoveTo/MoveTowards), changing its speed, and not by a fixed amount but multiplying/dividing it.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#10 Post by Ophiuchus » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 pm

The Silent One wrote:
labgnome wrote:
Gravity Well
Why not? You can check what the next target system is and I think also how far the distance is; then you boost speed for a slingshot with it.
Also you can check if you are in that system or if that was your last system and maybe even how far the distance is you covered.
Of course if your ship is fast enough you just pass by without effect.

But the main problem with such a change is that this is totally not accessible to AI.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.

The Silent One
Graphics

#11 Post by The Silent One » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 am

Ophiuchus wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 pm
Why not? You can check what the next target system is and I think also how far the distance is; then you boost speed for a slingshot with it.
Also you can check if you are in that system or if that was your last system and maybe even how far the distance is you covered.
Of course if your ship is fast enough you just pass by without effect.
I didn't know that, my FOCS only goes so far. Thanks for the heads-up.
Ophiuchus wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 pm
But the main problem with such a change is that this is totally not accessible to AI.
Which actually is a(nother) good reason not to go overboard with field effects.