Change fuel to supply

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

jinlanid
Space Squid

Change fuel to supply

#1 Post by jinlanid »

1 Rename fuel part to supply part. Allow supply part to resupply fighter drones. And it still can resupply fuel.
2 Add a new supplier external part. If a ship has a supplier external part, then it can supply the whole fleet with its supply parts.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Change fuel to supply

#2 Post by Oberlus »

No, fuel (and running out of fuel) is a key part of the game.
Fuel allows for ships to get stranded, to colonies to be too far to colonise/conquer before others, etc.
You have unlimitted fuel resupply hull and part, late game. What you shall not have is unlimited fighter resupply out of supply.

jinlanid
Space Squid

#3 Post by jinlanid »

Sorry for my English ability.
I dont want to delete fuel, I mean make fuel part to resupply fuel or fighters.
And add a new external part that allow one ship to use its own "supply part" to resupply other ship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated "resupply external part" maybe too expensive, maybe allow "supply part" to resupply other ship by default?
Resupply should only happen in turns when fleet has no combat.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

jinlanid wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 am Sorry for my English ability.
I dont want to delete fuel, I mean make fuel part to resupply fuel or fighters.
And add a new external part that allow one ship to use its own "supply part" to resupply other ship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated "resupply external part" maybe too expensive, maybe allow "supply part" to supply other ship by default?
I think I understand, but maybe...

You can't add a part that gives you unlimited fuel resupply, because there is one already, late game. A part that you can get earlier is not an option, fuel restrictions are there for a reason.
/Edit: I get now you were not talking about adding a new refuel part, just extend capabilities of the part we already have, so the above comment wasn't necessary./

You can't add a part that gives you unlimited fighter resupply, because cannons and fighters are balanced considering that fighters can't resupply in enemy supply. If you make fighters unlimited, then you are boosting fighters (which do not need a boost), and you are removing a key difference between fighters and cannons, reducing tactical options and making the game less interesting.

Edit:
jinlanid wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 am Rename fuel part to supply part.
I had missed that part (your English was fine).

jinlanid
Space Squid

#5 Post by jinlanid »

I don't want unlimited resupply.
We can unify fuel and fighter into one type, "supply".
With "supply", you can refill your ship, with "supply", you can manufacturer fighters.
So if you move, you cost "supply", if your fighters are destroyed in combat, you cost "supply".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe need to introduce "fighter assembly kit" internal/core part.