Starlane Bore changed behavior

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Starlane Bore changed behavior

#1 Post by defaultuser »

Playing a game with the stable release. I intended to open a Starlane Bore to an asteroid belt in the Experimenter system from a controlled planet. Instead, I got a starlane to a pretty far-off point.

I didn't see anything in the Changelog regarding this. The Pedia entry reads the same as before:
Generates a single new starlane to the nearest system that can be connected without crossing existing starlanes or passing too close to another system.
Even if it's not possible to open it to the Experimenter system, there were other closer systems.

The Bore was created at Draco I. The intention was to open the starlane to Gari a Asteroids, instead it ended up connecting to an empty spot well off to the upper left.
slb1.jpg
slb1.jpg (404.29 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
slb2.jpg
slb2.jpg (498.81 KiB) Viewed 5880 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Starlane Bore changed behavior

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Maybe it has to do with a recent adjustment to some constants related with universe generation to fix Starlane Nexus, PR#2631

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

To elaborate, the limits were made stricter for how close lanes can be added that pass near other systems or are close in angle to other lanes that are connected to one of the new lane's endpoints. The issue here may be that existing lanes are too close together already...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

So building the bore at Gary beta could work in OP's case.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:29 pm To elaborate, the limits were made stricter for how close lanes can be added that pass near other systems or are close in angle to other lanes that are connected to one of the new lane's endpoints. The issue here may be that existing lanes are too close together already...
By why way off there? The path to Saurak β should be clear and much closer.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:45 pm So building the bore at Gary beta could work in OP's case.
No, that didn't work. It drove one past that system to a empty space.
slb3.jpg
slb3.jpg (395.54 KiB) Viewed 5836 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

If you can compile, try changing the two constants that were modified in the linked PR.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:56 pm If you can compile, try changing the two constants that were modified in the linked PR.
I'm not set up for building.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

As a note, I tried building a bore to Experimenters in a different game with a very clear path to it, and things worked as expected. My concern was that something had happened with bores to Experimenters in general, as they of course close those starlanes after opening.

There is still something odd in my opinion, as the lanes that do get opened are often not the ones expected even if not to that system. And I think at least from the second location they should open there.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

Could you post a save game for me to fiddle with?
Here or in an new issue on github.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#11 Post by defaultuser »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:25 am Could you post a save game for me to fiddle with?
Here or in an new issue on github.
I have a save for it. I'll try to attach.
Attachments
SLB.zip
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 142 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#12 Post by defaultuser »

Another topic reminded me of this. Did anyone look at save?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 am Another topic reminded me of this. Did anyone look at save?
It wasn't compatible with current master. I have to create my own scenario for testing changes in starlane creation, but other things got in the way.