Messages from multiplayer game persisting in single player

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
swaq
Space Dragon

Messages from multiplayer game persisting in single player

#1 Post by swaq »

Version 2019-11-12.9f541b0

I played my turn in the multiplayer game, resigned to menu, then immediately loaded a single player game. The result was that the messages window was not cleared (screenshot attached).
Attachments
MessagesPersistence.png
MessagesPersistence.png (33.16 KiB) Viewed 3075 times

JonCST
Space Kraken

Re: Messages from multiplayer game persisting in single player

#2 Post by JonCST »

Conversely, Private Messages (PM) in multi-player games are not preserved across logins. If player A "whispers" to player B, that text will be invisible to player B after they log out and log back in.

More inconveniently, one can only PM player who is logged into the server at the same time as you are.

If player A is logged on, and player B is not, attempting to "/pm B message" will result in an error, and the message is not sent. If if it was sent, player B wouldn't see it when they log on.

Clearly this is an issue when players are in different time zones, and thus rarely logged on at the same time.

Jon

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

swaq wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pmI played my turn in the multiplayer game, resigned to menu, then immediately loaded a single player game. The result was that the messages window was not cleared (screenshot attached).
This could be argued to be working correctly / as intended...

swaq
Space Dragon

#4 Post by swaq »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:02 am
swaq wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pmI played my turn in the multiplayer game, resigned to menu, then immediately loaded a single player game. The result was that the messages window was not cleared (screenshot attached).
This could be argued to be working correctly / as intended...
It's not a bug, it's a feature! It's certainly not harmful, I was just a little surprised by it.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#5 Post by alleryn »

swaq wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:57 pm It's not a bug, it's a feature! It's certainly not harmful, I was just a little surprised by it.
Well it is a record of the messages you've received...Starting a new game doesn't necessarily change that. Personally I don't find it surprising. I wouldn't expect starting a new game to vacate all my previous messages.