Colonization bug, or not?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

duckstab
Space Krill

Colonization bug, or not?

#1 Post by duckstab »

I have a system where I've colonized one planet and am trying to establish colonies/outposts on the others. I have an Outpost Base and Colony Ship in the system, in separate fleets. When I select one, and only one, of the ships, the uninhabited planets show their suitability, but no Colonize button appears. Are there any conditions under which this would be expected, like an invisible enemy in the system?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Colonization bug, or not?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Screenshots would be much helpful.

I'm not sure I understand all the situation. The button to colonise or outpost a planet should appear (when you have an outpost or colony ship in the system) even if colonisation was not possible for whatever reason.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#3 Post by JonCST »

I have seen both situations:

o A "colonize" button appears, i click, but the colonization does not happen (usually due to hostile fleets)
o A "colonize" button does not appear when i think it should.

Reasons a colonize button correctly shouldn't appear:

o any shields left on the planet (rare, but...)
o planet has greater stealth than colonizer has detection (but they look fuzzy when that's the case)
o colony or outpost of another empire, even if no troops yet.

I'm sure there's more.

J.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

JonCST wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:10 pm o A "colonize" button does not appear when i think it should.
I never encountered that. I bet it should be reported with proper screenshots, save file, etc.
JonCST wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:10 pmReasons a colonize button correctly shouldn't appear:
o planet has greater stealth than colonizer has detection (but they look fuzzy when that's the case)
I don't get the option to colonise a planet that I can't detect, never saw this. If this is happening to you, another issue to report.

duckstab
Space Krill

#5 Post by duckstab »

Here's what I'm seeing. So could this just be all 3 planets have high stealth? Even a gas giant?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (261.08 KiB) Viewed 7014 times

swaq
Space Dragon

#6 Post by swaq »

Yep, appears to be due to stealth. Looks like the Ion Storm passing through is temporarily increasing the stealth. You'll have to wait until it passes or get a higher detection to colonize those planets.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

The lines across the planet indicates that you can't see it. If you hover over it, you will get more information.

duckstab
Space Krill

#8 Post by duckstab »

Cool, thanks all.