Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#421 Post by The Silent One »

Magnate wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:10 pm
The Silent One wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:03 pmTo disrupt his supply you need to be at war with him.
Ok but how can he disrupt mine when he is not at war with me? What is determining the primacy of supply in the first place? I have a colony in the system, an armed ship in orbit, another armed ship in orbit at the adjacent system, and yet still the supply is his and not mine ...?
He may have (more) advanced supply tech, a species supply bonus or a small planet, or a space elevator, or something else.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#422 Post by Magnate »

The Silent One wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:18 pmHe may have (more) advanced supply tech, a species supply bonus or a small planet, or a space elevator, or something else.
Ah, thank you - it's to do with the strength of supply. I understand now. To win supply in peace you have to have stronger supply, but in war you just need control of the airspace.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#423 Post by Magnate »

He declared war - problem solved!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#424 Post by Magnate »

Argh, I think I have found a bug

My ally has just settled a small planet in one of my systems, and because it's small it has max supply 2 (currently 1), while my medium planet has max 1. So even though it is deep in my territory, it's cut off from my supply network and I cannot build to it, which is critical. I thought allies shared supply nowadays anyway? He has another colony deep elsewhere in my space, on which he builds happily - the difference is that that's not a shared system, it only has one planet.

I assume it will be fixed next turn when his planet goes to +2 and reconnects with my network (whereas they currently cancel out as both are at +1), but this has cost me a crucial turn building!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#425 Post by Oberlus »

I'm sure you'll figure it out while we play stupid cat-and-mouse. Stay put for a second!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#426 Post by Magnate »

You think I built cloakers for toe-to-toe? ;-)

Magnate
Space Dragon

#427 Post by Magnate »

But seriously, the supply issue resolved when his planet got to +2 and reconnected to my network, it's just the turn where we have equal supply that went wrong. With two non-allied players this is exactly the desired behaviour - neither empire gets the supply while they're equal - but in an alliance this is precisely wrong, causing a turn's unwanted disruption to supply. It needs a single IF statement in the code block that deals with supply - where do I report this - somewhere on the forums, or on the github tracker?

o01eg
Programmer

#428 Post by o01eg »

Magnate wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm But seriously, the supply issue resolved when his planet got to +2 and reconnected to my network, it's just the turn where we have equal supply that went wrong. With two non-allied players this is exactly the desired behaviour - neither empire gets the supply while they're equal - but in an alliance this is precisely wrong, causing a turn's unwanted disruption to supply. It needs a single IF statement in the code block that deals with supply - where do I report this - somewhere on the forums, or on the github tracker?
It's better to report on the github tracker: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#429 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Magnate wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm But seriously, the supply issue resolved when his planet got to +2 and reconnected to my network, it's just the turn where we have equal supply that went wrong. With two non-allied players this is exactly the desired behaviour - neither empire gets the supply while they're equal - but in an alliance this is precisely wrong, causing a turn's unwanted disruption to supply. It needs a single IF statement in the code block that deals with supply - where do I report this - somewhere on the forums, or on the github tracker?
What about other combinations, like 3 planets with equal supply, 2 of which are allied with eachother but not the 3rd? Or 3 planets with different owners, one of which is allied with both the others but the others aren't allied or are at war?

Magnate
Space Dragon

#430 Post by Magnate »

More complicated cases are more challenging, but also less common - and surely not a reason not to fix the obvious case, where a single ally builds an outpost deep inside your space.

My suggestions would be:

1. 3 planets of different empires with equal supply where two are allied but not the 3rd. I've never seen any system owned by more than two empires so this is a theoretical case for me, but I'd suggest that the alliance should get the supply and tough on the non-allied empire. However if the non-allied empire has the greater supply in the end, s/he gets it once that planet surpasses the other two.

2. 3 planets of different empires with equal supply where one is allied with the other two but they aren't allied with each other. This is an even more unlikely case, but it seems obvious to me that the one who's allied with both should get the supply, so all three benefit. If the other two are at war, a capital ship in orbit will override the default rules anyway.

Any good?

Morlic
AI Contributor

#431 Post by Morlic »

What happens if there are 4 empires considering all possible alliance combinations?

I think simplest behavior would be to give supply if all empires with equal supply are allied with each other. If there is any non-alliance, then there is conflict in the system and no supply.
It's KISS, easy to implement and resolves the case in question without opening a can of worms for edge cases that will never happen anyway.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Magnate
Space Dragon

#432 Post by Magnate »

Works for me!

JonCST
Space Kraken

#433 Post by JonCST »

I believe i forgot to mention: Due to changes in weather, travel plans changed, and i remained at home. So, no break in my access to the net with computer, which you've probably already figured out.

J.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#434 Post by Magnate »

This is such a great game! Thanks everyone.

It does make me realise how overpowered the basic Robotic Hulls are though. Off to post in the correct thread ...

Magnate
Space Dragon

#435 Post by Magnate »

Sorry everyone, I'm away this weekend, and although I brought my laptop with me, it's out of juice and it turns out I packed the charger for my work laptop instead! I won't be back until late tomorrow night so this means I'm unlikely to turn until Monday morning. Just when it's getting interesting!!! Hope you're all having a good weekend.