Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#361 Post by The Silent One »

JonCST wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 pmWhich is kinda slow. Two other test servers claimed between 5 and 8 mbps download. So, apparently it's variable, and not wonderfully fast, but it should be enough to support a small game like this one, yes?
Since (afaik) the gamestate is some megabytes large, this might explain your wait. If your download rates vary significantly that may be due to bad wlan reception, which sometimes can be improved by changing some wlan settings.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#362 Post by Oberlus »

I have some 3-6 Mbps. At game start (first turns) dowloading game state was instantly, at current game state it takes me 5-10 seconds. So it will get worse for you, JonCST, the longer we play. Just curious, are you playing from Aus or USA?

JonCST
Space Kraken

#363 Post by JonCST »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 am [...] are you playing from Aus or USA?
I'm in GMT-4 (GMT-5 during standard time). Eastern US.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#364 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The time it says "Downloading" might not be only covering the actual data transfer... That could also include deserialization and decompression of the data. Posting a client log file after downloading a turn update might help clarify what takes most of the time.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#365 Post by Magnate »

Hi all,

I'm home, and managed not to miss any turns - thanks for your patience.

Seems we are now playing a 3vs2 game, although Oberlus is at peace with everyone!

I am about to get my butt handed to me by 0O1eg...

JonCST
Space Kraken

#366 Post by JonCST »

Hi all.

My schedule may be confused at best, and nonexistent at worst, due to Hurricane Dorian.

Current forecast is for it to pass by on Wednesday, but hurricanes change all the time, and a difference of a few hours or a few miles may change "cat 1 passed by" to "cat 3 passed over", with much different effects on the ground. I'll try to keep up, but in the next 2-5 days conditions may go from "it's raining" to "we have no roof and the power's out for 10 miles in every direction".

J.

The Silent One
Graphics

#367 Post by The Silent One »

JonCST wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:30 pmMy schedule may be confused at best, and nonexistent at worst, due to Hurricane Dorian.
Best of luck to you, be safe.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#368 Post by alleryn »

Hi. Hopefully we get an update soon. I hope your roof and your neighbors' roofs are not beyond repair.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#369 Post by JonCST »

alleryn wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am Hi. Hopefully we get an update soon.
The outer bands of the storm are passing over us now: heavy rain, moderate wind. The eye is about 300 km SW of us, and predicted to pass about 40 km offshore.

Main impact of storm should be this afternoon through tomorrow morning. Sustained winds predicted about 95 kph, gusts to 160 kph. Total rainfall between 25 and 38 cm in 48 hours.

Although the storm has strengthened, the eye is predicted to keep far enough offshore of us that will probably not receive the full force winds.

Hurricanes are difficult to predict, and a few miles difference in the track can change the impact. I'll try to post an occasional report here if power and network stay up.

J

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#370 Post by Geoff the Medio »

JonCST wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:30 pmMy schedule may be confused at best, and nonexistent at worst, due to Hurricane Dorian.
(Without intention to make light of major cyclone impacts) This post made me think we might want to give in-game storms names as well...

o01eg
Programmer

#371 Post by o01eg »

JonCST wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:01 pm
alleryn wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am Hi. Hopefully we get an update soon.
The outer bands of the storm are passing over us now: heavy rain, moderate wind. The eye is about 300 km SW of us, and predicted to pass about 40 km offshore.

Main impact of storm should be this afternoon through tomorrow morning. Sustained winds predicted about 95 kph, gusts to 160 kph. Total rainfall between 25 and 38 cm in 48 hours.

Although the storm has strengthened, the eye is predicted to keep far enough offshore of us that will probably not receive the full force winds.

Hurricanes are difficult to predict, and a few miles difference in the track can change the impact. I'll try to post an occasional report here if power and network stay up.

J
It sounds terrible. Wish you the best of luck with this matter!
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

JonCST
Space Kraken

#372 Post by JonCST »

I said:

> I'll try to post an occasional report here if power and network stay up

So far, so good. Lot of tornado warnings. Fortunately most are SW or NE of us, which is good, because tornados tend to move NW around here.

J

Magnate
Space Dragon

#373 Post by Magnate »

(Also without wishing to make light of JonCST's RL plight)

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying this game - really interesting to see all the different play styles!

JonCST
Space Kraken

#374 Post by JonCST »

Magnate wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:28 pm (Also without wishing to make light of JonCST's RL plight)
It's not a plight- at least not yet. Wind has increased, but not yet at significant hazard levels. I expect that to change overnight.
Magnate wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:28 pm Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying this game - really interesting to see all the different play styles!
Especially the diplomacy. Fun to see the empire window change turn to turn. And to see the attempted backstabbing etc. in the diplomatic channels!

J.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#375 Post by JonCST »

Winds have increased to Tropical Storm level. Supposed to reach Hurricane level in next few hours.

Hopefully center should be past by noon local time (now + 14 hours) and back to just passing bands.

J.