Help with setting up

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

em3
Vacuum Dragon

Help with setting up

#1 Post by em3 »

I'm trying to build freeorion, but I'm not really used to CMake. I only used VS solutions, make and SCons so far. As far as I can tell it's an endless cycle of firing it and then checking out what's missing, and then firing it again and checking out what's missing and entering the same path to SDK to another variable and then firing cmake again. Could it maybe accept a path to SDK and set everything up itself or is it too much to ask for?

I'm trying to prepare building environment on Windows with following caveats:
  • I'm not going to have SDK and freeorion directory near each other. I have a separate folder to keep dependencies for my project and a separate folder to keep versioned sources. As such, bootstrap goes out of the window.
  • I'm not using Visual Studio, but VS Code (or sometimes emacs) for building, so I'm plannign to take advantage of cmake --build and available CMake-focused extensions.
  • I don't have git in my PATH, so I will need to modify the version getting target to allow configurable git executable path (through CMake, I guess?)
  • I'd prefer to use ./build directory in freeorion sources to keep the compiled programs, but I guess it's not really standard? I mean, by default the VS solution seems to want to place everything in the repository's root folder. On linux and Mac OS it is recommended to build into ./build directory, but it's not even in .gitignore
Any tips or recommendations or kicks to the head for doing things non-kosher?
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Help with setting up

#2 Post by o01eg »

There are some tries to enable cmake in Windows: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2388
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

> I'm trying to build freeorion, but I'm not really used to CMake.
> Any tips or recommendations or kicks to the head for doing things non-kosher?

Don't bother. Upstream ignored every attempt to fix the Windows CMake build very hard in favour of the manual VS solutions, even when proposing soft migrations or preparations for this.

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1416
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2388
Last edited by adrian_broher on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#4 Post by em3 »

That is unfortunate.

I was hoping to learn using CMake while contributing.

So, if I'm not using CMake and I absolutely do not want sources and SDK in the same directory, I will need to edit the solution files myself (or using python)?
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

adrian_broher wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:31 pmUpstream ignored every attempt to fix the Windows CMake build very hard in favour of the manual VS solutions, even when proposing soft migrations or preparations for this.

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1416
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2388
Ignored?

The first of those pull requests, made by you, is still marked work in progress. If it is / was done, or is ready for more testing, then please rebase and indicate this so I / we can do so, or just merge it yourself.

The second pull request was repeatedly tested and given feedback, until you wrote that it broke more than it fixed. If you now think it is worth merging, please write that or do so. I defer to your judgement for pull requests such as this.

I prefer to use the manually maintained VS solution files because I find the extra step of using CMake unnecessary and annoying, but I have no objection to making CMake work as well and will gladly merge or have you merge whatever changes to those scripts you think are good enough and that don't completely break the ability to use an MSVS solution file in parallel.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#6 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 am Ignored?

The first of those pull requests, made by you, is still marked work in progress. If it is / was done, or is ready for more testing, then please rebase and indicate this so I / we can do so, or just merge it yourself.
Yes ignored. The feature already worked two years ago as intended and could already have been merged March 2017, except it broke the MSVS solutions. Now, after some thousand commits behind, its rotten and needs to be fixed.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 am The second pull request was repeatedly tested and given feedback, until you wrote that it broke more than it fixed. If you now think it is worth merging, please write that or do so. I defer to your judgement for pull requests such as this.
I still consider it the inferior solution as it doesn't allow the build of shared libraries and only somehow fixes the windows build by copying the behaviour of the VS solution. It doesn't fix the inherit flaws of it.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 am I prefer to use the manually maintained VS solution files because I find the extra step of using CMake unnecessary and annoying, but I have no objection to making CMake work as well and will gladly merge or have you merge whatever changes to those scripts you think are good enough and that don't completely break the ability to use an MSVS solution file in parallel.
Repeating again and again:

The VS Solution
  • dictates the layout of the source code and the SDK structure, making changes an unnecessary PITA
  • enforces the availability of python as a build dependency for no good reason
  • duplicates the work required for build documentation
  • doesn't provide any of the flexibility to allow multiple build trees or different build configurations
  • forces the user to manually manage the SDK
  • doesn't provide any build environment capability checking
  • doesn't provide the capabilities to build release artifacts, which are a prequisite to do serious automated CI (fully automated weeklies/nightlies)
Counter argument so far:
  • CMake is annoying
Seriously? The VS solution files are a hindrance for every advanced feature that could be provided by the build system and you are still in favour of that crutch.

Also:
Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 am […] I / we can do so, or just merge it yourself.
[…] I defer to your judgement for pull requests such as this.
While I'm still a member of the freeorion group on GitHub, I don't have any more permissions on the repositories than a guest.
Resident code gremlin

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by em3 »

adrian_broher wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:52 pm dictates the layout of the source code and the SDK structure, making changes an unnecessary PITA
doesn't provide any of the flexibility to allow multiple build trees or different build configurations
Glad I'm not the only one bothered by this.

When I have time, I'll add ./build/ to .gitignore (as it's the suggested location for build on both Linux and MacOS) as a PR.

Adrian_broher, if you need someone, who doesn't really know CMake and didn't dig into .sln, .vcxproj, .props etc for some time, to do some grunt work with updating your PR, I'm up for it.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#8 Post by adrian_broher »

em3 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:34 pm Adrian_broher, if you need someone, who doesn't really know CMake and didn't dig into .sln, .vcxproj, .props etc for some time, to do some grunt work with updating your PR, I'm up for it.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a local branch, which is already up-to-date. However since the introduction of the Pending class I'm having a hard time implementing the shared library build on Windows.
Resident code gremlin

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#9 Post by em3 »

Any particular problems? Is this about move/copy constructors that you mentioned in GitHub?

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#10 Post by em3 »

Anyway, know that I applaud you in your efforts. Know, that you are not doing this just for the benefit of your own pedantry. :D

adrian_broher
Programmer

#11 Post by adrian_broher »

em3 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:06 pm Any particular problems? Is this about move/copy constructors that you mentioned in GitHub?
I don't know as the CI results are way too old to interpret properly. You can give the rebased version a spin: [email protected]:adrianbroher/freeorion.git on the win-cmake branch.
Resident code gremlin

o01eg
Programmer

#12 Post by o01eg »

I made another try to enable Cmake for MS VS: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2435
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

o01eg
Programmer

#13 Post by o01eg »

I've finished my PR to support non-XP and non-32 targets along with RelWithDebInfo configuration. I didn't touch packaging and installation and I don't enable tests itself because I get strange segfault in fo_system_test.exe which hard to solve without debug symbols:

Code: Select all

fo_systemtest_game.exe!boost::spirit::traits::inhibit_clear_queue<class boost::spirit::lex::lexertl::functor<struct boost::spirit::lex::lexertl::position_token<class std::_String_const_iterator<class std::_String_val<struct std::_Simple_types<char> > >,struct boost::mpl::vector<bool,int,double,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na,struct boost::mpl::na>,struct boost::mpl::bool_<1>,unsigned __int64>,class boost::spirit::lex::lexertl::detail::data,class std::_String_const_iterator<class std::_String_val<struct std::_Simple_types<char> > >,struct boost::mpl::bool_<1>,struct boost::mpl::bool_<1> > >(class boost::spirit::lex::lexertl::iterator<class boost::spirit
fo_systemtest_game.exe!??@0b74d5a39e4dac0168082d1dc1c7ae93@()
fo_systemtest_game.exe!parse::detail::parse_file<struct `anonymous namespace'::grammar,class GameRules>(struct parse::lexer const &,class boost::filesystem::path const &,class GameRules &)
fo_systemtest_game.exe!parse::game_rules(class boost::filesystem::path const &)

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#14 Post by em3 »

Is SDK prepared for a debug or release build?

There are two paths to provide for (for example) vorbis file library, but SDK contains only a single libvorbisfile.lib (and pdb, but it could be from a debug build our a release with symbols build).

o01eg
Programmer

#15 Post by o01eg »

em3 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:11 am Is SDK prepared for a debug or release build?

There are two paths to provide for (for example) vorbis file library, but SDK contains only a single libvorbisfile.lib (and pdb, but it could be from a debug build our a release with symbols build).
SDK builds as release with symbols.