Tried latest test release (sorry, forget version#)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ovarwa
Space Kraken

Tried latest test release (sorry, forget version#)

#1 Post by ovarwa »

Hi,

System: Win10, 8750, 32GB, gtx1060, 1920*1080.

1) Some graphics glitches. Every now and then, screen artifacts would appear on a small portion of the screen, too quickly to save, appearing either as a distortion or a flashing.

2) Sometime I would receive techs that were not on my research queue. The first time this happened, I attributed this to a typing error. But it kept happening, on techs there was no way I had enqueued.

Anyway,

Ken

EricF
Space Dragon

Re: Tried latest test release (sorry, forget version#)

#2 Post by EricF »

Did you have unused Tech Points? This often happens to me in late game
when I have a ton of Research Points being produced and I have already
researched everything I want. Unused RP are automatically assigned to
the cheapest unresearched Tech (I believe that's how it works).

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#3 Post by ovarwa »

Hi,

I don't think so, but I was tired, so maybe I just didn't notice that I needed to refill my research queue.

(The gfx issues are real for sure, though, and occur with the normal 4.8 release too.)

Anyway,

Ken

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

ovarwa wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:51 pmThe gfx issues are real for sure, though, and occur with the normal 4.8 release too.
It happens to me in my laptop (GTX860M) in Linux (compiled from source), but it does not happen in the same machine in Windows 8 (Release and Weekly Test versions).
On an older machine with Windows 7 it does not happen.
I bet it has something to do with drivers. In my case, I think it has something to do with the integrated Intel GPU that is not properly handled in Linux which causes the weird delays between layer redrawing that I suspect causes the flickering.

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#5 Post by ovarwa »

Running the program on the 1060 rather than the integrated gfx resolves the issue. I'll download new intel drivers sometime.