Noob Question

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ChileStuff
Space Krill

Noob Question

#1 Post by ChileStuff »

I captures a planet by ground assault, but I can't build a starbase or anything but evac. I am human and the captured planet is cat people. Did I do something wrong or is it a glitch?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Noob Question

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Cat people (I can't remember the actual species name) can not build ships or colonise other planets.

You can check out what can do or not each species by right-click on its name in the galaxy (a pop-up rises) and click on the pedia entry of the species. There it will say that appart from any other advantage or disadvantage a species have (like better/worse industry, better/worse pilots, etc.).

ChileStuff
Space Krill

#3 Post by ChileStuff »

Doh! So I have to evac the planet and establish a human colony. (Totally worth is since it's huge terran with asteroids AND a gas giant)
Thanks for the help

EricF
Space Dragon

#4 Post by EricF »

Yes, shooting a Raaagh in the head is a waste of a good bullet. Exterminate them.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

I know they're supposed to be feline, but the small icon looks more rodent-like to me. I call them Rats.

It's best when you are playing Eaxaw. Right into the camps.

ChileStuff
Space Krill

#6 Post by ChileStuff »

Another problem, I colonize a planet and nothing I do can bring it into the supply chain. Even when I add an outpost at the closest point, (2 systems away) no luck. I'm not sure I understand the supply stockpile issue since all I have 1s the pedia, which does little to explain the mechanics

EricF
Space Dragon

#7 Post by EricF »

ChileStuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 am Another problem, I colonize a planet and nothing I do can bring it into the supply chain. Even when I add an outpost at the closest point, (2 systems away) no luck. I'm not sure I understand the supply stockpile issue since all I have 1s the pedia, which does little to explain the mechanics
A little hard to tell what the problem is from just this. Posting a screenshot of the area would help.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

ChileStuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 am Another problem, I colonize a planet and nothing I do can bring it into the supply chain. Even when I add an outpost at the closest point, (2 systems away) no luck. I'm not sure I understand the supply stockpile issue since all I have 1s the pedia, which does little to explain the mechanics
Usually you will need to research one of the supply techs. Outpost without orbital construction has only zero supply. The supply techs give +1 on supply, this will increase supply on the outpost and on the planet, so it should close a gap of two starlane hops. You can have a look at the planet values to see how big the supply currently is. The hover will also explain which effects did change the supply.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#9 Post by AndrewW »

Also, you may be able to set a nearby colony to logistics focus which will increase the supply range. Size of the planet also matters, larger planets have less supply.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

EricF wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:59 pm Yes, shooting a Raaagh in the head is a waste of a good bullet. Exterminate them.
defaultuser wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:03 am I know they're supposed to be feline, but the small icon looks more rodent-like to me. I call them Rats.

It's best when you are playing Eaxaw. Right into the camps.
Erm... this thread does have a slight touch of dwarf fortress, so to speak...

SCNR ;)

ChileStuff
Space Krill

#11 Post by ChileStuff »

Orbital Construction fixed the problem, it was just too far down the research que. I have been using the que suggested elsewhere on this forum, but have found flaws. Other than that, which is very helpful, all I have is the Quick Play Guide. Is there a detailed manual that explains the mechanics of the game so I can decide what's best for me without years of trial and error play?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by Oberlus »

ChileStuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:57 pm Orbital Construction fixed the problem, it was just too far down the research que. I have been using the que suggested elsewhere on this forum, but have found flaws. Other than that, which is very helpful, all I have is the Quick Play Guide.
Take those as introductory, general guides. You always have to take into account the local characteristics of your particular game.
Is there a detailed manual that explains the mechanics of the game so I can decide what's best for me without years of trial and error play?
Not that I know. But trust me, learning by yourself won't take years, you will be a quite advanced player after some games and reading all the tech tree.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#13 Post by Ophiuchus »

ChileStuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:57 pm Is there a detailed manual that explains the mechanics of the game so I can decide what's best for me without years of trial and error play?
You can also have a look at what the AI does, it knows some basics of the game. You can start a multplayer game and watch them (or if you use a non-release version you can simply build super-testers with omnivision).
Have a look at the information the game provides. Especially in combination with the 1 turn/cost research rule to get all the tech fast and see what it does.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#14 Post by AndrewW »

ChileStuff wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:57 pm Is there a detailed manual that explains the mechanics of the game so I can decide what's best for me without years of trial and error play?
The Pedia covers a lot of the stuff. But if you have more questions feel free to ask on here.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#15 Post by defaultuser »

There are some "getting started" threads, but you do have to be careful in that the game changes. Advice a couple years old might not be as relevant.

There's also the problem that any strategy varies by initial game setup. Games where you're likely to encounter AIs early are different than more sparse setups.