Recommended flowchart software for tech tree?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Recommended flowchart software for tech tree?

#1 Post by Oberlus »

My brain isn't as good as it was 20 years ago. I need some tool to contain and visualise all the tech tree info and also allow online collaboration.

It should:
1. Work on Linux, Windows and Mac.
2. Allow easy (fast) edition.
3. Produce nice and clear flowcharts.
4. Allow online sharing and collaboration.
5. Be free and opensource.

Ideally, it would:
6. Allow automatic organisation based on characteristics (cathegories) of the items.

I'm testing (right now) http://diagramo.com/
It is browser based (HTML5) and it seems to meet requirements 1 to 5, but it seems it does not have functionality 6.

Do you know of a better alternative, or is there anything (better or not) already in use by FreeOrion developers?

Thanks in advance.

PS: @labgnome? Maybe you have already not only a good app for this but also most/all of the work done.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Recommended flowchart software for tech tree?

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Looking at diagramo it looks like the positioning is free floating.

I guess something which provides lanes and allows to drag and drop of nodes inside the existing tree would be more efficient. Dont know such a tool though.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

adrian_broher
Programmer

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

Try mermaid. it is similar to graphviz, as it uses text to describe a graph. The online editor runs on any recent browser with enabled JavaScript. Other implementations exist to run mermaid from commandline Sharing documents is as easy as sharing the link to the editor (the editor link above is in fact a recreation of the first graph in that post by me).
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

adrian_broher wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:57 pm Try mermaid. it is similar to graphviz, as it uses text to describe a graph. [...] Other implementations exist to run mermaid from commandline. Sharing documents is as easy as sharing the link to the editor (the editor link above is in fact a recreation of the first graph in that post by me).
That's is just great! The text-to-graph functionality is very welcome (didn't mention it on the OP). Appreciate it!
And it is so good to see you on the forums, adrian_broher :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:36 pmAnd it is so good to see you on the forums, adrian_broher :D
Seconded! :D