Unguarded Ancient Ruins

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
EricF
Space Dragon

Unguarded Ancient Ruins

#1 Post by EricF »

I'm playing latest test build 10/21 and came across a planet with Ancient Ruins,
but there was nothing guarding it. Is this normal?
I have Monsters set to Low and not Off.
FO.jpg
FO.jpg (276.78 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
Every time I've come across them before they have been guarded.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Unguarded Ancient Ruins

#2 Post by AndrewW »

There is a chance an Ancient Ruins will be unguarded.

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

I eventually got Banforo and Death Rays so it seems like it should have been guarded to me. :D

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Infrequent, but it happens. I once got Multispectral shielding early. No one had weapons that could overcome it, so I could send a single ship against a fleet.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

AndrewW wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:48 amThere is a chance an Ancient Ruins will be unguarded.
I have the feeling that those chances are bigger for galaxy configurations with smaller systems/player ratio (maybe just homeworlds, including natives), so that for 25 systems per player it must be close to impossible to find unguarded ancient ruins. The reason would be the galaxy creation algorithm not finding free systems away-enough from homeworlds for the desired guarding monster when placing the specials.

EricF
Space Dragon

#6 Post by EricF »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 am
AndrewW wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:48 amThere is a chance an Ancient Ruins will be unguarded.
I have the feeling that those chances are bigger for galaxy configurations with smaller systems/player ratio (maybe just homeworlds, including natives), so that for 25 systems per player it must be close to impossible to find unguarded ancient ruins. The reason would be the galaxy creation algorithm not finding free systems away-enough from homeworlds for the desired guarding monster when placing the specials.
Hmm, the Galaxy is Me and 5 AI with 150 Systems so 25 Systems per Player...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

It's just a 90% chance of being guarded, regardless of the empire:system ratio
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

EricF
Space Dragon

#8 Post by EricF »

Dilvish wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:18 am It's just a 90% chance of being guarded, regardless of the empire:system ratio
OK, then I misunderstood. To me 90% isn't "close to impossible".
Personally I think it should be 100%. Getting DR and Banforo so early really killed that game.
I would HATE to have had one of the AI players have gotten that. :lol:

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

Certainly, EricF, a 10% chance of unguarded is far from impossible. Thanks for the info, Dilvish.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

I had one where an AI got Death Ray and squid pilots early. That was a challenge.