Doubt with fuel parts and upgrades

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Doubt with fuel parts and upgrades

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Playing latest pre-RC3, 2018-08-13.

Prior to researching any fuel part, I had protoplasmic ships with 2 fuel (3 if I added a basic fuel tank)
Then I got deuterium tank and antimatter tank and then I realise my protoplasmic ships are now 4 fuel without any fuel part and 9 fuel with one basic fuel tank.

I don't get the maths here, neither reading the Pedia entries for techs, hulls and parts nor reviewing the FOCS files. From the FOCS files (fuel.macros and each of the tech files) I would have expected fuel 2 when no fuel parts (regardless of the techs), and with one tank fuel 3, 4 and 7 depending on the tech (none, deuterium, antimatter).

There is something buggy in here or I'm missing something.

By the way, getting +1 per fuel part (for a total of 2 per fuel tank) with deuterium and then an extra +3 (for a total of 5 per tank) with antimatter seems radical. Shouldn't be the antimatter tank tech give another +1 instead of +3?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Doubt with fuel parts and upgrades

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Does the fuel icon on a ship (not a fleet) in the FleetsWnd show a meter breakdown when moused over?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 amDoes the fuel icon on a ship (not a fleet) in the FleetsWnd show a meter breakdown when moused over?
Ah, you are right. Nothing buggy here, I wasn't considering pure-energy metabolism (+2 fuel), which explains it all.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#4 Post by Jaumito »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:23 amNothing buggy here, I wasn't considering pure-energy metabolism (+2 fuel), which explains it all.
It still doesn't explain how you managed to get
Oberlus wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:23 am9 fuel with one basic fuel tank
on a protoplasmic hull, or does it?

[EDIT] - or did you mean antimatter instead of basic?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Yes, it's a bit confusing.
It was like this:
- Base fuel: 2
- Pure-energy: +2
- Plus one fuel tank part (there is only one "tank" part, which I called "basic" dunno why):
-- Base fuel: 1
-- Deuterium tech: +1
-- Antimatter tech: +3
Total 9 (as correctly shown in the tooltip of the ship's fuel icon, as pointed out by Geoff)