Linux update

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

godel
Space Dragon

Linux update

#1 Post by godel »

I now have a copy of the 2015 game on my upgraded to 18.3 mint linux system.
If I remember correctly, it was such a different game that I might keep it.

But I got it from the software manager app. They implied that getting it that way would make updates easier and more sure.

I do understand having too many chores, and this would be another one, to make it available for updates via a standard update path. As well, sometimes I would want to control what updates of the game I have, and yet I have often accepted updates wholesale.

I hope that I have better luck on the win 10 machine. I am just starting the problem fix I was given.

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: Linux update

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

to make it available for updates via a standard update path.
That would be the distribution packaging. We as upstream are not responsible for packaging the game for different distributions and this task is usually done by a package maintainer that comes from the distribution themself. As upstream we only provide the source code, everything else would be too much of a hassle.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

godel wrote:But I got it from the software manager app. They implied that getting it that way would make updates easier and more sure.
I think that would particularly be the case for bugfix releases like 0.4.7.1; I expect that most or all of the distros that had rolled out 0.4.7 would have made 0.4.7.1 available as an update through their software manager (or just apt or whatever if you want to do things more manually). As Marcel notes, though, such decisions about which (if any) of our releases they will support for which of their releases are entirely up to them. As far as LinuxMint goes, it looks like they are responsive to questions about how to upgrade FreeOrion.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

godel
Space Dragon

#4 Post by godel »

Thanks!