ship selection list

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

godel
Space Dragon

ship selection list

#1 Post by godel »

Is there any way to organize the ship selection list better?
Mine is a mess after much innovation.
I would like to group all the troopships together, for instance.
I would like to have a seccession of warships where each tech advance in armor or weapons would get a group of ships together, not some here and some up the list.
Given any way to do this, I could.
I just do not know how.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: ship selection list

#2 Post by MatGB »

Ship design screen. Drag and drop.

You can even do it with saved designs and it'll perpetuate between games.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

godel
Space Dragon

#3 Post by godel »

OK I get to the ship design screen.
It is on turn one, frequently after a design screen and a manufacturing screen have been used.
I click a few times and right click a few times and click a few times on the save tab. All that because that worked in the past and might work again.
I might get all of them or none of the saved as active designs.

So what exactly did you mean by drop and drag? Do that to each ship then for that game, note them into the active ships for that game?

If I fail, I can double click each ship and get it to come up as a design and add that design, ship by ship. Not good.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

You asked two questions, you appear to think this is the answer to the other question, which I don't know the answer to and might be a bug.

The answer to teh question asked in this thread is the answer I gave, the other thread I've not replied to.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Hi, godel. I'm not sure to understand your whole posts but the first question seems pretty straightforward and I'll try to be helpful.
godel wrote:Is there any way to organize the ship selection list better?
Yes, there is.
Note than I understand you mean the list of ships (and buildings, unless you hide them) you can build when you are on the production screen with one of your colonies selected.
To impose your own order for the ships in that list, you can go to the design screen and drag and drop ship designs to change their ordering (as well as make them obsolete to make them disappear from the possible designs to built).
I would like to have a seccession of warships where each tech advance in armor or weapons would get a group of ships together, not some here and some up the list.
If I understand you, that's impossible: if you have the older hulls with mass drivers+armor1, others with mass drivers+armor2, others with laser+armor1 (from a game were you got laser first) and the newest ship designs with laser+armor2, would you order them first by armor tech or by weapon tech? And if you have also different hull techs in use? There is no automatic way to order the ship designs, but you can make your own (as explained in the second paragraph) to better fit your style or preferences.

godel wrote:OK I get to the ship design screen.
It is on turn one, frequently after a design screen and a manufacturing screen have been used.
I click a few times and right click a few times and click a few times on the save tab. All that because that worked in the past and might work again.

So what exactly did you mean by drop and drag? Do that to each ship then for that game, note them into the active ships for that game?

If I fail, I can double click each ship and get it to come up as a design and add that design, ship by ship. Not good.
Here I'm almost sure I don't understand you (bear in mind I am not a native speaker).
Please notice that every saved design (from previous games) that has all of its parts and techs researched will automatically appear in the available ships designs. Therefore I never get into the saved designs tab. The only usefulness I find to access the saved designs tab is to reorder the designs (drag and drop) to make them appear in the order I want in the following games. And I would never ever get into the ship design screen itself in the first turn of game, when I have no new techs researched.
No idea what you mean here. Double-clicking on the tabs themselves have an use?
Do you mean you can make appear saved designs in the build design list despite the techs not being available? Or that you want to be able to do so? I don't understand. In any case, I don't see the utility of the saved design to make saved ships available if they become available automatically.

godel
Space Dragon

#6 Post by godel »

I will try that drop and drag stuff.
You are saying that the order of the ships can be changed on the ships screen, maybe from the finished ship list?
Will the order imposed last beyond the game I am in?

It does seem like I have asked two questions.
The second, here or elsewhere, was how can I have the whole ships list that is under the saved tab potentially available.
This means that if I do something (and I can do something that sometimes works but I want it sure) I want the ships appropriate for my tech level to be available to me. The sign that this has happened for me is a simple ship I often use is in the saved list, I go to the build screen, schedule a few troop ships, go to the design screen, click a few times, right click a few times, and click a few times. Then I go to the build screen and, without further action, there is this ship that is simple mass driverx2, fuel and large hull now available to be built. And it was not there when I first went to the build screen.
And further, when new tech becomes available,without further bugging of the design screen, without individually loading and accepting each saved ship, the ships become available on the build screen.
If you do not have this as a formal spec, it should be.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#7 Post by LGM-Doyle »

godel, the functionality that people are describing is only available on the development build. It is not available in v0.4.7.

The function of the design window is described in the pedia under *Guides* -> **Interface** -> Design Window.

Current designs do not persist from game to game. The order of the current designs is the order used in the Production window.

Saved designs persist from game to game. The order imposed on Saved designs will also persist from game to game. The order of the saved designs is the order that they will be added to the current designs. If you are sorting the saved designs it is useful to turn on obsolete, available and unavailable designs so you are ordering all possible designs.

Saved designs will be added to the current game's designs at game start if the option "Add all Saved designs at game start" is turned on. You can turn it on in two ways: right click on any saved design and toggle the "Add all Saved designs at game start", or open the Options window and go to the Other tab and turn on "Add all Saved designs at game start".

You can also add Saved designs to the current designs manually by right clicking on any saved design and selecting "Add all saved designs to Empire now".

I hope that this answers your questions.

godel
Space Dragon

#8 Post by godel »

Thanks!