Sourceforge issues

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Sourceforge issues

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Vezzra wrote:Due to issues with sourceforge we can't provide new test builds until further notice.
Do you know what's happening to Sourceforge during last week?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Sourceforge issues

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:
Vezzra wrote:Due to issues with sourceforge we can't provide new test builds until further notice.
Do you know what's happening to Sourceforge during last week?
I don't recognize that quote from Vezzra-- is that from anything current, or some kind of zombie quote resurrection? If it's the former, please add a link back to the source of the quote so that any of us seeing this could find out what Vezzra was talking about. If it is some zombie quote resurrection, well, I really don't see how it helps your post beyond mentioning Vezzra's name-- please explain what your bad experience with Sourceforge was, or whatever other reason you have to think there are problems with it currently.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:I don't recognize that quote from Vezzra-- is that from anything current, or some kind of zombie quote resurrection? If it's the former, please add a link back to the source of the quote so that any of us seeing this could find out what Vezzra was talking about.
Was posted on the two test build threads.

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=480

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=420

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Was posted on the two test build threads.
Ah, I guess I have gotten too used to opening and closing those to flag them as read, without actually reading them, hehe.

Looks like there were significant problems yesterday when Vezzra posted, which have been cleared up now. One of the comments in the notice/thread I linked indicated it was some sort of storage platform problem.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

They've been having troubles intermitently the whole week. No idea what's exactly going on.

o01eg
Programmer

#6 Post by o01eg »

What about use github's releases?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Yep, sorry of not giving more detailed information, here's a quick explanation of what happened: When I tried to upload the test builds Tuesday evening, I couldn't establish an FTP connection to the sourceforge FRS. The connection attempts simply failed. I then looked at the sourceforge operations twitter account, and saw that apparently sourceforge was experiencing issues, so I decided to try again on Wednesday evening.

Apparently SF had been back up in the meantime, but down again on Wednesday evening when I tried again. Not knowing how long that issue was going to persist, I posted my notifications about those issues on the test build threads and on Twitter. I didn't get around to try again after that, which is why there are no new test builds although SF apparently is back up now.

As it is already Sunday, and only two days left until the next round of test builds anyway, I decided to skip last weeks test builds.
o01eg wrote:What about use github's releases?
Well, these feature is, as the name suggets, designed for providing releases, not really for frequent test builds. In theory I could use it, but that would lead to massive clutter on the FO's github release page, pushing the entries for the official releases back where nobody would find them anymore, as there is no kind of folder structure or anything like that which would make it possible to organize releases and other builds. It's just one big list. So essentially completely useless for weekly test builds.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#8 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Vezzra, not in addition to, but only if it is less work than soureforge, you could create a new github project freeorion-test-builds just to provide pre-built binaries for testing. Then all the clutter is in one location, essentially labelled "clutter".

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

LGM-Doyle wrote:only if it is less work than soureforge
Providing builds via SF actually works very well - unless SF is experiencing issues. Then it can be a pain...
you could create a new github project freeorion-test-builds just to provide pre-built binaries for testing.
How do you attach files to the cards of github projects? AFAIK these cards can only contain text and links, that's it...?

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#10 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Vezzra, I mistyped project while thinking repository.

I meant add a repository to the freeorion github page, here. The other repos currently are: freeorion, freeorion.github.io, freeorion-sdk, freeorion-assets, GG and freeorion-utilities. Adding freeorion-test-builds, would solve the problem of cluttering the freeorion release location and be more discoverable than SourceForge.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

LGM-Doyle wrote:Vezzra, I mistyped project while thinking repository.
Ah, ok, yes, that makes more sense. ;)

However, sourceforge's file release system is still far better than github's. Accessible via FTP, statistcs, folder structure, default downloads etc. Github just offers a flat list of releases. So, as long as issues with sourceforge remain a rare occasion, I'd rather stick with them.