Supply down on all planets, double lines, how to fix?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

FreakNigh
Space Floater

Supply down on all planets, double lines, how to fix?

#1 Post by FreakNigh »

The supply is down on the planets however there are no enemy ships on any of the planets. How do you fix this? Thanks

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Supply down on all planets, double lines, how to fix?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

That does sound strange. Please post a screenshot showing a system like that, with blocked supply but no enemy present. If you can please also have the screenshot include the sitreps for the current turn and also the supply meter tooltip for a planet in that system that should have positive supply.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

FreakNigh, maybe the supply is fine (no blockades) but you have more production points than you can spend on the current queued projects? The symbol and color for both situations is the same, only difference is that the former affects only blockaded systems and the latter the whole supply group in which there are wasted PPs.

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:The symbol and color for both situations is the same,
Actually, on further reflection I think you and I both let ourselves get caught a bit too much by the OP's belief this was a supply issue-- the double-line coloration for supply lines is only caused by the under-utilized PP issue, which can sometimes itself be triggered by a blockade but which is still quite distinct. Supply being blocked by a blockade is indicated by the supply line coloration into/out of the blockaded system being cut short, only extending around a third of the way along the starlane.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

FreakNigh
Space Floater

#5 Post by FreakNigh »

Dilvish wrote:
Oberlus wrote:The symbol and color for both situations is the same,
Actually, on further reflection I think you and I both let ourselves get caught a bit too much by the OP's belief this was a supply issue-- the double-line coloration for supply lines is only caused by the under-utilized PP issue, which can sometimes itself be triggered by a blockade but which is still quite distinct. Supply being blocked by a blockade is indicated by the supply line coloration into/out of the blockaded system being cut short, only extending around a third of the way along the starlane.
One turn the production will be fully used then the next turn all the supply lines will have a red line around it and only half of the production will be in use. Then maybe 20 or more turns later it will randomly go back. It also only seems to start happening around turn 50+.

So this is an issue with far away planets not being able to supply a certain planet and I could prove it by stopping all production for a turn?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

It sounds like something is blocking supply, possibly monsters of enemy ships, possibly including stealthed monsters or enemy ships, but a screenshot or two is always helpful to work out specifics.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

FreakNigh
Space Floater

#7 Post by FreakNigh »

MatGB wrote:It sounds like something is blocking supply, possibly monsters of enemy ships, possibly including stealthed monsters or enemy ships, but a screenshot or two is always helpful to work out specifics.
I've tried putting light houses at all the planets. That should detect stealthed ships?

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#8 Post by LGM-Doyle »

It will be easier to help if you post a screen shot.

If we can see your sitreps, your production queue and some of your galaxy it might be clear what the issue is.

Do you have enough extra items in your production queue, so that when it reaches the last production turn of the last item on the queue there are more items at the end of the queue to use up the excess production?

For example if you have an empire with 20 production points (PP) and a job to build a ship on repeat that costs 50 PP.
One the first and second turns all 20 PP will be used to build the ship. On then every third turn the empire will use 10 PP to finish the ship and waste 10 PP. All the supply lines will be grey every third turn due to the wasted production.
There need to be at least 10PP more items at the end of the queue to use up those 10PP every third turn.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

LGM-Doyle wrote:For example if you have an empire with 20 production points (PP) and a job to build a ship on repeat that costs 50 PP.
One the first and second turns all 20 PP will be used to build the ship. On then every third turn the empire will use 10 PP to finish the ship and waste 10 PP.
It seems this isn't true anymore. On the third turn the remaining 10 PP are spent on the next repetition of the job (so that once you hit next turn that job will already have 10 PPs on it, and you will be able to get 2 repetitions of the job every 5 turns).

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Is there a reason you've not posted a screenshot? Because either you've found a weird bug or there's something about the game not clear to you, but without a pic we really can't tell.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

FreakNigh
Space Floater

#11 Post by FreakNigh »

Found this is caused by simply not using up all the PP. I didn't know construction of one item was forced in to a minimal set of turns. I don't think lighting up the entire supply line is a good idea, makes people think there is something wrong with the supply line itself. Just the <!> is fine for this case.

Dilvish

#12 Post by Dilvish »

FreakNigh wrote:Found this is caused by simply not using up all the PP. I didn't know construction of one item was forced in to a minimal set of turns. I don't think lighting up the entire supply line is a good idea, makes people think there is something wrong with the supply line itself. Just the <!> is fine for this case.
I'm glad you figured out your issue.

IIRC, supply line color change to indicate unused PP was added before the top-bar unused-PP indicator was added, but I'd say the former still serves three purposes: (1) if your resource group is split because of a blockade, the supply line color change helps to identify that location, (2) it highlights the whole set of systems in the resource group that has unused PP, making it easier to choose a good location to use that PP at (the unused PP icon would take you to a single one of those potential spots, but that spot might not be the best choice), and (3) it is often a more noticeable warning of unused PP than the unused-PP icon is; this seems to have been the case in your situation (you just weren't sure what the warning was for).