Compiling Linux test build for release under sourceforge

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Nighthawk
Space Squid

Compiling Linux test build for release under sourceforge

#1 Post by Nighthawk »

Assuming I can get FreeOrion to compile (which is a very big assumption), who would I send the compiled files to so that it can be put under sourceforge?

Thanks!

edit: I just realized that the reason the Linux builds stopped was because Nagilum passed away. Consider this me continuing his legacy?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Compiling Linux test build for release under sourceforge

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Nighthawk wrote:Assuming I can get FreeOrion to compile (which is a very big assumption), who would I send the compiled files to so that it can be put under sourceforge?
As I'm the one who usually provides the builds for Windows and OSX, that would be me.
I just realized that the reason the Linux builds stopped was because Nagilum passed away.
Yes, sadly :(

Had been quite a shock when I learned about his passing... it's disturbing if someone suddenly is just gone.
Consider this me continuing his legacy?
You're welcome to do so.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Chriss »

... then again, "Linux" is very generic. What distribution do you want to compile packages for?

There is no one for all package, unless we're talking a massive static binary. What it boils down to is specific packages per distribution. Which can be binary (Ubuntu, Debian...), or automated compile scripts (Gentoo, Arch - but also possible for RHEL/CentOS...) or both. Also, "Distribute an installer executable" is generally rather the "Windows way" of doing things. Linux has distribution specific package repositories from which a distribution specific package manager can install virtually all software. So the better way would be to use this mechanic, and not provide an installer as download...
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Chriss wrote:Linux has distribution specific package repositories from which a distribution specific package manager can install virtually all software. So the better way would be to use this mechanic, and not provide an installer as download...
That's true for the stable releases, but I think Nighthawk was referring to the test builds between releases. Nagilum didn't make weekly builds, but he regularly uploaded packages with test builds of the latest svn revision. You won't get those from the repos of the Linux distros, so I assume Nighthawk wants to provide these test builds (I guess for Debian/Ubuntu, maybe RHEL/Fedora? Nighthawk?).

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:You won't get those from the repos of the Linux distros,
I actually had thought that Apo was planning on keeping up on a regular basis in the Debian Unstable or Experimental release, but now I can't seem to find anything there since 0.4.4 so perhaps I'm wrong on that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Chriss »

@Vezzra: I don't know. I don't want to stop or discurage him either. It's just that depending on what he wants to do, another aproach may make more sense and / or be less of an effort.

For Arch and Gentoo for example, the distro way is to create an install script (PKGBUILD for Arch, ebuild for Gentoo) which fetches the source (and makes the package manager install all dependencies) and then compiles the source. Which is what I did with the Arch AUR package. Similar things may be possible for other distros. It is also the way which Nagilum used to create the Weekly builds for Arch. For those Distros, it works well for both stable releases and SVN/GIT/whatever SCM.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Chriss wrote:For those Distros, it works well for both stable releases and SVN/GIT/whatever SCM.
Well, the packages Nagilum provided on sourceforge had been for Debian/Ubuntu. AFAIK those aren't scripts that pull and compile the source, are they? So I guess he (EDIT: Nighthawk) wants to provide those... he'll probably drop by soon and clarify what he really wants to do.
Last edited by Vezzra on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#8 Post by Chriss »

No, he did indeed provide binary files - packages for the proper package manager. He did also provide precompiled packages for Arch, which is in a way handy because it is faster.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#9 Post by Nighthawk »

To clarify, I was thinking I could just use precompiled binaries, rather than a package. This way, we don't have to compile for a particular distribution.

The issue of course is that it means the libraries have to be provided.

If I start doing this, it'll be a little while from now. I'll look into this weekend.

Apo
Space Squid

#10 Post by Apo »

Dilvish wrote: actually had thought that Apo was planning on keeping up on a regular basis in the Debian Unstable or Experimental release, but now I can't seem to find anything there since 0.4.4 so perhaps I'm wrong on that.
I think you got me wrong there. I don't intend to build daily/weekly development snapshots for the official distribution because there is no user demand for it. People seem to be quite happy with the current version and I haven't heard anything from users of the Ubuntu PPAs too. People who are into development will also be able to compile the game from source, so I suggest to explain this to them. Every distribution has its own way for creating packages and packages are well integrated into the system whereas static binaries are not.

I could expand on that short explanation, if anyone is interested but basically that's how you can compile the game for Debian.

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Down ... Debian_way

If you think that a current SVN commit is stable enough, just ping me and I'll try to package that for experimental. The whole Debian distribution is currently in a development freeze and prepares for the next stable release.

I was under the impression that the SDL2 stuff isn't finished yet, so it would be rather counterproductive to package that for end users, even for those who are happy to try out new things. But if it's ready, you could also do a small development release suitable for Debian experimental.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Apo wrote:I was under the impression that the SDL2 stuff isn't finished yet
This impression is correct. The respective branch hasn't been merged into trunk yet.

Dilvish

#12 Post by Dilvish »

Apo wrote:I think you got me wrong there.
Yes, it was some aspect of wishful thinking, I suppose. :)
People who are into development will also be able to compile the game from source, so I suggest to explain this to them.
Yes, I have your explanation bookmarked and provide it to people often.
If you think that a current SVN commit is stable enough, just ping me and I'll try to package that for experimental.
0.4.5 is probably not very far off, so we should probably just wait for that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#13 Post by Nighthawk »

Sorry for the giant necro, but I can actually compile the Linux release build now, I think. At least, using the AUR works pretty well for this. If someone would like, I can provide my compiled binaries for the Linux version.

(of course, I have no idea if it will work on any system other than Arch)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by Oberlus »

Nighthawk wrote:Sorry for the giant necro, but I can actually compile the Linux release build now, I think. At least, using the AUR works pretty well for this. If someone would like, I can provide my compiled binaries for the Linux version.

(of course, I have no idea if it will work on any system other than Arch)
It probably won't work in every distribution. I'm using Ubuntu, and binaries that work with a release very often won't work with a previous release because of dependency issues.
Anyway, having a binary to download for up-to-date Arch would be great.

Dilvish

#15 Post by Dilvish »

I think that the precompiled Linux binaries that Naglium used to provide dealt with the dependencies issue by actually including all the dependencies in a special kind of package. The complication of putting such things together is a major reason why it wasn't continued after him. But there is also now far far less need for that, so many distros now directly provide FO (albeit with a time lag), and adrian-broher has done such a good job with our cmake setup that it seems pretty easy for most Linux folks to compile FO themselves these days.

I doubt we'd want to get into trying to provide precompiled downloads for a zillion different Linux distros, just keeping track of which ones were reasonably up-to-date would be a nuisance. But, the call is really up to Vezzra, our Release Manager, about whether or not to try formally providing some precompiled Linux binaries.

Of course, you could always just post a download link them.