Early Death Rays and Misiorla

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Early Death Rays and Misiorla

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Wow! What a nice combination to have early in a game.
Too bad it wasn't me who found it.
Attachments
Bad times to come
Bad times to come
DR&Misiorla.jpg (68.71 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

L29Ah
Space Squid

Re: Early Death Rays and Misiorla

#2 Post by L29Ah »

Yeah, i think unprotected ruins must be abolished.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

I hope those ruins were protected but AI got serious on getting it for itself.
In fact, I'm happy that this happened because I expect a way more interesting game: I hope that AI will be crushing its neighbours and will get fat before I reach to it, so that it can stand a chance against me. I've been winning every game easy peasy, always doing the same: I delay military production until really necessary and focus on efficient growing (wide and tall simultaneously), until I leave AIs behind on PPs and RPs (so muy tech is way better), then I build some terrifying fleets and conquer everything until the game becomes too boring (haven't seen any ending yet).

In multiplayer it would have been another story.

L29Ah
Space Squid

#4 Post by L29Ah »

I doubt anyone is able to take the protected ruins on turn 59 no matter what they do. Except maybe they're egassem and got ten infernos from the start.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Well, to get to that Grail alpha system I had to kill a sentry and a maintenance ship. Those are relatively easy to take down, do you consider such systems as unprotected?

L29Ah
Space Squid

#6 Post by L29Ah »

Yes. They should be protected by sentinels, and they usually are.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

L29Ah wrote:I doubt anyone is able to take the protected ruins on turn 59 no matter what they do. Except maybe they're egassem and got ten infernos from the start.
It is my intention to ensure that Ancient Ruins always get somethign protecting them for these exact reasons.

However: three shielded robohulls and a drydock nearby can take a Sentinel early, I've done it around turn 50 more than once, never with Egassem though, needs a research species that can switch easily. I do however suspect that for the AI to do it it would've been unprotected and I do think that's off (Sentinels can't spawn close to a homeworld, ruins can, it needs tweaking and Ancient Guardians are part of that plan)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

L29Ah
Space Squid

#8 Post by L29Ah »

Yet according to the script it is spawned with 0.9 probability.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#9 Post by Dilvish »

L29Ah wrote:Yet according to the script it is spawned with 0.9 probability.
and it actually used to be only a 66% chance of spawning a sentinel, we bumped that up to 90% back about a couple years ago. I can see for you multiplayer games you'd rather have it at 100%. For single player games I kind of like the idea that there is a chance of it spawning once and a while without a Sentinel, odds are that an AI will come across that before the player and then be more of a challenge (but still in a fair / non-cheating way).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

Dilvish wrote:
L29Ah wrote:Yet according to the script it is spawned with 0.9 probability.
and it actually used to be only a 66% chance of spawning a sentinel, we bumped that up to 90% back about a couple years ago. I can see for you multiplayer games you'd rather have it at 100%. For single player games I kind of like the idea that there is a chance of it spawning once and a while without a Sentinel, odds are that an AI will come across that before the player and then be more of a challenge (but still in a fair / non-cheating way).
I found who got that Misiorla and DRs in my game, the Chato (yellow). Not sure why but they are not the best ones so far. Since I haven't seen them until the pale blue (George I think, I should confirm that) has been wiped out, I don't know if they were using the DRs, but it seems weird that they didn't get more advantage with respect to the other races.