Target priority list

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Gargamel
Space Floater

Target priority list

#1 Post by Gargamel »

I've read a bunch of threads where this topic is mentioned tangentially, but I didn't feel appropriate posting this in any of them. Just an idea I had, thought it may be fairly easy to implement, and give the game some more depth. Feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if needed.

Instead of, or more likely, in addition to having a random target priority list, have a "presentation" list. Allow the player to select the position of a ship within the fleet. It can be as simple as forward and rear. If you think about it, a fleet would not approach a destination in a straight line abreast formation. They would have some ships up front and others hanging back. Have ships like carriers, bombardment ships, troop ships, CnC ships, etc hang back, while the others would be out front. You could stick with a priority list for targeting, but there would be some chance that a front line ship could be hit by a shot aimed at a ship in the rear. This would work just like a protection screen real navies use today. (A buddy of mine was a lookout on a frigate attached to a carrier group in the Navy, he said those ships were called missile catchers for a reason).

Mechanics wise, (and I'm just spitballing) each front line ship would have about a 1/3-1/2 chance of blocking a shot intended for the rear. If the first ship fails to block, then the next ships gets a chance, but each ship only gets one chance per round. Once all the front line ships have used their chances to block, all remaining shots make it through to the rear. If all the shots intended for the rear get blocked, the rest of the ships don't get to block that round. The damage for each shot blocked would not be reduced, and would be taken fully by the blocking ship.

This would represent the fleet being arranged to put most of it's front line in between the enemy and the rear. Some of the enemy won't be directly inline with the front, and will be able to attack from an angle.

This would also improve the CnC (Command and Control) mechanic. If a fleet has a CnC ship (presumably in the rear!), then the chance of their shots getting blocked would be reduced. This would represent an admiral manuevering their fleet to get in positions to take better shots. The CnC mechanic could be represented by a seperate internal module, or built into some hulls (ie Logistics Facilitator). Also, side note, adding a ship part that replicates the LF hull's mid combat repair mechanic would be good, albeit at a much reduced amount, and non stackable. These two CnC style ship parts would allow for alot more flexibility in ship designs and roles.

In the fleet window, a simple dropdown box would indicate a ships position in the fleet. If all the ships are in the same position, they would all be considered frontline. In the ship design window, you could set a default postition for that class of ship. Ie, you could have your carriers or other support craft default to the rear upon production. This would minimize the amount of required player management, while still allowing for customization.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Target priority list

#2 Post by AndrewW »

Gargamel wrote:If you think about it, a fleet would not approach a destination in a straight line abreast formation.
Used to be rather desirable in naval formations, if you could cross the t all the guns along your side could be brought to bear with only the forward guns of the opposing fleet being able to fire back at your ships.

Gargamel
Space Floater

Re: Target priority list

#3 Post by Gargamel »

AndrewW wrote:
Gargamel wrote:If you think about it, a fleet would not approach a destination in a straight line abreast formation.
Used to be rather desirable in naval formations, if you could cross the t all the guns along your side could be brought to bear with only the forward guns of the opposing fleet being able to fire back at your ships.
With guns that couldn't aim, and using wind for power, yes. Not very applicable to the modern / sci-fi environment. And then, as they would pass, only one ship at a time would be in a position to fire. I did a thesis on naval tactics around the 1800's a long time ago, it really has little bearing here.