I'm back, and it looks like so is an old bug

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Heracliton
Space Floater

I'm back, and it looks like so is an old bug

#1 Post by Heracliton »

Apologies for the long gap; I have been really rather ill for most of the last year.

I've downloaded several of the most recent builds and all fail either to load a save game successfully or to start a new one. The error is "ERROR: Python AI for AI_n crashed" where "n" is the number of the AI; varies from attempt to attempt.

This seems to be a recurrence of this bug:

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... fdd#p87486

Still running on Wi7 64 Pro, i7 3770K, 16GB 2133MHZ RAM, Asus mobo.

I had a look at the GitHub page referred to in the cited thread but I don't think it will help me solve the problem.

I'll post some observations & suggestions soon.

Cheers

H.

EDIT:
I just downloaded & tried the latest version as full installer: FreeOrion_2017-02-20.0d5b992_Test_Win32_Setup.exe

and I can now set up a new game.

It won't load save games though, eventually shows the star field with nothing but the white dots. Game has not hung/crashed, can still zoom or drag the star field, open main menu etc. so I guess the old saves are not compatible (no worries).

Looking foward to getting back into this. Thank you for your continued excellent work :)

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

Re: I'm back, and it looks like so is an old bug

#2 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Heracliton,
Saves between major versions are not compatible. i.e 0.4.5 saves are not compatible with 0.4.6. Too much changes between versions.
Saves between weekly builds and individual commits are not guaranteed in any way to be compatible.

I hope that you are feeling better.

Have fun.

Heracliton
Space Floater

#3 Post by Heracliton »

Thanks LGM-Doyle; save-game issue pretty much as I expected.

Last two releases crash on start-up (info posted in Support forum), yet I'm not discouraged. Far from it, the game runs generally smoothly and bug-free and the recent developments - bombs, more races etc - really add greatly to the game play. It's great fun and a seriously impressive piece of work from anywhere, but especially so for people producing it as a hobby.

I have encountered an intermittent issue with bombing - the "cancel bombardment" button sometimes has no effect. The bombers are still set to 'bombard' mode. Even if the bombers are sent away, the planet is still is set to be bombarded. Unable to see any planet stats, it's impossible to invade. Can't colonise it either; even if you leave a fleet of bombers there for way over the time needed to kill off the entire pop. The planet is permanently fubar.

On bombing - rather than splitting the bomber fleet and sending some away (to fine-tune hits so as to minimise residual pop & hence troops withut killing everything off) could the attack/hide button on bombers be set to switch bombing off for selected ship(s) in the fleet? - split off if necessary. Not always safe to send unarmed ships off, etc.

Do change reports get published anywhere? Not really so much for detailed list of bug features, but it would be nice to know what features have been added/altered/deprecated. A short text file in the zip would be cool.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Heracliton wrote:Do change reports get published anywhere? Not really so much for detailed list of bug features, but it would be nice to know what features have been added/altered/deprecated. A short text file in the zip would be cool.
For numbered releases, yes. For weekly test builds, no. Between releases, you'd have to check the commit logs, which is probably impractical for most people.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Heracliton wrote:On bombing - rather than splitting the bomber fleet and sending some away (to fine-tune hits so as to minimise residual pop & hence troops withut killing everything off) could the attack/hide button on bombers be set to switch bombing off for selected ship(s) in the fleet? - split off if necessary. Not always safe to send unarmed ships off, etc.
Hmm, yes, it probably should work like the invade button-- only automatically selecting ships to bombard if you haven't already manually selected the ones you want. I haven't looked at this myself, but if you have confirmed that manual selection of a subset of ships does not work for bombardment, then please open an issue on our Github repo, requesting this tweak.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#6 Post by dbenage-cx »

Known issue with bombarding (#672)
it probably should work like the invade button
I believe the difference is that with invade/colonize the ordered ships are destroyed. I did not find a way to cancel an order for a previous turn.

Heracliton
Space Floater

#7 Post by Heracliton »

@Dilvish
Thanks for the reply. I will file a request, probably tomorrow as I have supper guests arriving soon.

I wasn't thinking about the invade/don't invade (although that might be easiest to code?), more the attack/hide button on armed ships; bombers in 'hide' mode would not be counted in 'bombs-dropped' exactly (whatever the code) as 'hidden' armed fleets do not bombard enemy planets. That accords with human perceptions - you give attack or bomb orders to fleets or portions thereof. You don't place the attack orders on the targets.

Churchill to Koeln: "Get bombed tonight".
Koeln to Churchill: "Verschwinde, Dummkopf!"*

*The polite version.

@dbenage-cx
Good point; I think my proposed parallel with armed ships attacking/hiding is better than one with invasion.