Objects Menu Crashing (0.4.6)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
zarquan
Space Floater

Objects Menu Crashing (0.4.6)

#1 Post by zarquan »

Hello. When I play FreeOrion, my game occasionally crashes in the objects menu. Usually, I just reload and can't reproduce the bug, but now I have a scenario where the crash is reliable. I would attach the save file, but it is too large to attach If you select all the planets in the objects menu, then order the construction of Gysache colonies and Gia Transformations, then attempt to order the planets by type (to create artificial planet out of the Gas Giants), then the game crashes.

I am running FreeOrion v0.4.6 [build 2016-09-16.49f9123] MSVC 2013 on Windows 10.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Objects Menu Crashing (0.4.6)

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

How big is the save? Can you post freeorion.log from immediately after producing the crash? Can you post screenshots of reproducing the crash?

zarquan
Space Floater

#3 Post by zarquan »

The save file is 5.32 MB. I think the problem comes from adding buildings to the queue from the objects menu. I actually lost the original save by grabbing the wrong turn, but I was able to reproduce it on the turn I did save by ordering the construction of 177 enclaves to the void and then trying to order by planet type. At least, it was until I tried to take screenshots of it... I did get it to happen again, but it took about 3 tries, which is annoying considering how long it takes the game to add 177 items to the queue (because that is a ridiculous to do). I am usually able to crash it by messing around with the objects menu in other ways as well (after construction orders), so I doubt it is a problem with the planet types tab specifically.

I don't know if it's related, but when I am using the objects menu to terraform lots of planets, the order of the planets changes.
Attachments
The game crashing upon clicking "Planet Type"
The game crashing upon clicking "Planet Type"
Screenshot (9).png (609.11 KiB) Viewed 964 times
The construction order I gave
The construction order I gave
Screenshot (6).png (707.44 KiB) Viewed 964 times
freeorion.log
(128.84 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

zarquan
Space Floater

#4 Post by zarquan »

The images are out of order. I ordered the construction, then I click on the tab and it instantly crashes. I also brought up the console myself to show that nothing appeared, it did not focus itself.

zarquan
Space Floater

#5 Post by zarquan »

I would like to point out that this is something that does happen in the course of normal gameplay, not just when you do something ridiculous. It just happens more consistently when I do something absurd.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

I've never had this happen (on either Linux or Windows), and I know that a lot of work has gone into the backend of listboxes in general, including a refactoring of the queue from Objects and the sorting of Objects since the most recent Release, as I can't replicate it, can you try the most recent Test build? It's possible we've already fixed it, if not it'll be important to replicate it with the current codebase.

If it does happen with the current Test, then create a Github Issue and you can upload a zipped savegame there, if you say which Test version you used it I'll see if I can get it to happen on my laptop.

Aside: your Objects menu extra columns is remarkably similar to mine: I also have target and actual Industry output, lets me choose which worlds are most in need of a terraform or a Gaia efficiently, I do love the ability to queue buildings from there and we definitely need to hunt down any remaining bugs in it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.