compile error

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

compile error

#1 Post by The Silent One »

Since I last pulled the source from master when trying to compile I receive a lot of errors of this type:

Code: Select all

error C3646: 'noexcept' : unknown override specifier (..\..\GG\src\Button.cpp)	C:\Users\...\Documents\FreeOrion\FreeOrion\GG\GG\Exception.h	48	1	GiGi
Any idea what causes it? (MSVC 2013)
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: compile error

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The Silent One wrote:(MSVC 2013)
Might need to update to 2015 for additional C++11 features...

Edit: yep: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx

Presumably since: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... efff1fa596 (although the commit log doesn't really make that clear...)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

As Geoff mentioned, we've switched to MSVC 2015 and C++11 support. So you need MSVC 2015 and the new SDK to build commit e8f3881 (tagged "with-FreeOrionSDK-v3") or later.

See this post in the FreeOrion Windows SDK thread.

The current v3 of the new SDK for Windows still might have a glitch, please report back if you encounter issues. I think there might be a problem when you try to run the FO executable built with the new SDK. A fix has already been committed, but Marcel hasn't released a new version yet.

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One »

Thanks for your help guys. I've installed MSVC 2015 and the new SDK, here's what I get when compiling:

1>freetype255MT.lib(winfnt.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB "freetype.pdb" wurde nicht mit "freetype255MT.lib(winfnt.obj)" oder an "C:\Users\...\Documents\FreeOrion\FreeOrion\freetype.pdb" gefunden; Objekt wird verknüpft, als ob keine Debuginformationen vorhanden wären.
Lots of those and:

>------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: Common, Konfiguration: Release Win32 ------
4>  Configuring Version.cpp
4>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(171,5): error MSB6006: "cmd.exe" wurde mit dem Code -1073741515 beendet.
After that some errors because common.lib hasn't been created.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

How did you "install" the SDK?

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

I ran bootstrap.bat as administrator.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:

>------ Erstellen gestartet: Projekt: Common, Konfiguration: Release Win32 ------
4>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(171,5): error MSB6006: "cmd.exe" wurde mit dem Code -1073741515 beendet.
Ah yes, that has been the glitch. Now I remember, it's not that the final build crashes, but this strange build error. Don't have time right now, have to catch a bus, but will get back to you ASAP.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

@TheSilentOne, here is another version of the SDK for Windows for you to try:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/506 ... 140-xp.zip

adrian_broher
Programmer

#9 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:
The Silent One wrote:

Ah yes, that has been the glitch. Now I remember, it's not that the final build crashes, but this strange build error. Don't have time right now, have to catch a bus, but will get back to you ASAP.
Is this already fixed in the SDK?
A fix has already been committed, but Marcel hasn't released a new version yet.
I don't remember any report similar to that. :/
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:Is this already fixed in the SDK?
Sure, since over a month, by yourself actually: 72f135c
I don't remember any report similar to that. :/
Ok, you must really have been stressed out at that time - apparently you pushed the fix and immediately forgot about it. I've been wondering when you were getting around to release v4 with that fix, as it's quite important, but thought that you probably had some other unfinished stuff you wanted included... so maybe release v4 now before we get more complaints about an already fixed issue? :D

The Silent One
Graphics

#11 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:@TheSilentOne, here is another version of the SDK for Windows for you to try:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/506 ... 140-xp.zip
Works, thank you.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#12 Post by adrian_broher »

I think it's time to drop the Visual Studio 2013 project files to avoid confusion. A good chunk is now C++11 enabled and that won't change anymore.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

adrian_broher wrote:I think it's time to drop the Visual Studio 2013 project files...
Done.

The Silent One
Graphics

#14 Post by The Silent One »

Despite using the latest SDK, I didn't manage to compile FreeOrion with VS 2017. Is it still up to date?
Should I maybe provide some information like the error messages from the compiler?

Geoff the Medio

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Something close to master builds OK for me in MSVC 2017, so yes... what are the errors?