is there a todo list regarding graphics

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: is there a todo list regarding graphics

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Can you post that or add a signature note that you release any art contributions under the CC-BY-SA 3.0, similar to dbenage-cx's signature?

Sloth
Content Scripter

#17 Post by Sloth »

Some specials that really need proper icons: Abandoned Colony, Honeycomb, Moderate Tech Natives, High Tech Natives, Temporal Anomaly.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

wheals
Space Squid

#18 Post by wheals »

Looks like the white logos aren't quite centered in all of the images, which I think would be even more obvious when switching between them with the dropdown.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#19 Post by Ouaz »

Great work.

I also like the idea, but I would have done the opposite:

- keep the galaxy background visible inside the shematic galaxy shape (so a high contrast for the galaxy background can be preserved) and maybe remove the white glowing effect around the contour.

The contour purpose is to show roughly in which shape the systems and starlanes will be organized (as showed by dbenage-cx generated galaxies > http://imgur.com/a/qOFII, thanks to him).

Because as it is, the "vector art" style does not fit very well in FO UI (imo ^^).

As I don't have the source materials, I quickly made a mockup to give an idea (it's a dirty work, sorry :p):
gp_spiral2_image.png
gp_spiral2_image.png (191.81 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
And in the UI:
setup_new_galaxy_image.PNG
setup_new_galaxy_image.PNG (224.48 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
Comparison with the vector art:
setup_new_galaxy_icon.PNG
setup_new_galaxy_icon.PNG (214.13 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

The Silent One
Graphics

#20 Post by The Silent One »

Nice work here, sam, but also Ouaz, I think that's certainly an improvement!
A small nitpick: the galaxy shapes are a little irregular, which is noticable especially at the bottom of the 2-arm spiral's center.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

sam
Space Krill

#21 Post by sam »

Hi :)

I'm pleased to see all reaction about my proposal which is definitely different from the previous style:

If you want I can design a menu according to the style of my icons

I also have all gimp source files if modifications are needed

One question about the licenses. Does it means I will be able to still use my work for a personal potentially proprietary software? (dual licensing?)

How do I include the credits? Shall I put my name in the pictures?

Sam

adrian_broher
Programmer

#22 Post by adrian_broher »

Well done @Ouaz, I like the mockup very much.

If you want I can design a menu according to the style of my icons
Feel free to do so. I already had some ideas to redesign the menu but hadn't any chance to write them down or create a prototype but maybe your ideas are better.
I also have all gimp source files if modifications are needed
The release of source assets is mandatory for inclusion. We have let things slide too long in this area and already need to recreate a lot of assets just for the reason of having a modifiable source file.
One question about the licenses. Does it means I will be able to still use my work for a personal potentially proprietary software? (dual licensing?)
You're allowed to do whatever you want with the things you created. But we can only include assets that fit our licensing restrictions. So you can create an asset, release it under FO license terms and modify your version and release it under different terms. However you are not allowed to take a modified FO asset, even if you created the initial version, and release it under different terms. The same is true for FO. We're are not allowed to take an modified asset from you that was released under a different licensing, even if we are allowed to to use the initial asset version.

How do I include the credits? Shall I put my name in the pictures?
In our source asset repository we add a metadata file to the asset which contains such information. Also you would be added to the credits in-game. Putting the credits into the source asset metadata is possible but will be ignored. Putting the credits on the image itself will be a reason for rejecting the asset as we don't want to break immersion.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz