Getting ready for 0.4.5

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Ouaz
Dyson Forest

Re: Getting ready for 0.4.5

#16 Post by Ouaz »

Hi Vezzra,

Can you give an approximative date for the 1st release candidate?

Late July, August?

Next week? :mrgreen:
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I don't think I got that python issue quite totally wrapped up, will try to look at it again very soon, but it seems that all the 'real' python3 problems related to the cmake process and the col_bld_gen.py script and are fixed, so I don't know if this last little bit really matters.
The main issue that needed to be resolved for 0.4.5 has been that on Windows, if there was Python installed, this Python installation had been invoked instead of the bundled one. This should be fixed now.
We are still getting in some more article submissions & I think it would be worthwhile to give just a bit more time for those. Although, I guess since they don't need C++ changes it would probably be fine to continue adding them to a release branch if we go ahead and start that.
Agreed.
If you are too busy to make any more changes to that galaxy creation PR re min systems, please go ahead and merge it as-is for 0.4.5.
I intend to try to incorporate your suggestion, but if I don't get around to it soon, I will merge the PR as it is now.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, anything that isn't in the list of the OP, but needs to be taken care of for 0.4.5?

Which of the open PRs on github should be merged for 0.4.5 (aside from those that are already tagged for next release)? PR#155, PR#175?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Ouaz wrote:Can you give an approximative date for the 1st release candidate?
Well, next weeks Monday builds will still be regular test builds. If all open issues can be solved quickly enough, we can probably commence with release candidate builds the following week (Monday 20th). I don't expect to be able to do it sooner (unless Geoff and/or Dilvish have other ideas ;)).

Highly speculative, so take it with a grain of salt... ;)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote:
MatGB wrote:Both the damage control and stealth fixes are bigger than I planned and I keep getting sidetracked, I'm going to abandone damage control before Release, but figuring out where all the stealth bonuses planets and species get come from is proving to be more annoying than anything else. All I want to do before release is make sure no planet ever has a stealth stat in a multiple of ten
The damage control revision wasn't part of the list anyway, as adjusting the AI for it will probably be non-trivial. Regarding the item about stealth:
Some basic tweaks to stealth for balance purposes (Mat) - mentioned here
...if I understood you correctly, you still want to do that for 0.4.5, so I shall leave that open, right?
Yes, it basically needs to be done, currently there are several effects that give something the exact same stealth overall as standard detection rates, which is really not ideal, but the macros and stacking of it all are just, well, weird. And some of the techs say they do one thing but do something else entirely (one of the Makes the Game Work techs says it increases the stealth of all planets, but instead has effects that do stuff to buildings, but that doesn't seem to actually do anything in game anyway).
Sorry, everything else I was doing are, I think, done.
That means, these items:
[*]Some very minor balancing tweaks (Mat) - mentioned here
[*]Sort the asteroid line out (Mat) - mentioned here
...can be closed, correct?
[/quote]
Basically, I mean "minor balancing tweaks" is an ongoing task I'll continue with until we get to 1.0, but I think Asteroids are OK with the changes at the moment.

Re damage control, some of what I've planned doesn't affect the AI, other bits really do, I'd hoped to get the stuff that doesn't matter done but, well, it's unlikely to be unless I get a spurt of productivity sometime soon.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#21 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Ok, anything that isn't in the list of the OP, but needs to be taken care of for 0.4.5?

Which of the open PRs on github should be merged for 0.4.5 (aside from those that are already tagged for next release)? PR#155, PR#175?
I am just reminded that Mat had proposed a few more default key bindings which seemed good, but which probably need some C++ work to actually make them defaults, so I'll take a quick look at that.

As far as #155 and #175, let's just see how those go, I don't think we need to hold anything up for them. (And 155 may wind up requiring AI adjustment)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:Yes, it basically needs to be done, currently there are several effects that give something the exact same stealth overall as standard detection rates, which is really not ideal, but the macros and stacking of it all are just, well, weird. And some of the techs say they do one thing but do something else entirely (one of the Makes the Game Work techs says it increases the stealth of all planets, but instead has effects that do stuff to buildings, but that doesn't seem to actually do anything in game anyway).
How long do you think it will take you to get that done? Can you give that priority?
Basically, I mean "minor balancing tweaks" is an ongoing task I'll continue with until we get to 1.0, but I think Asteroids are OK with the changes at the moment.
Which means, as far as 0.4.5 is concerned, I can close these items. OP edited accordingly.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#23 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I am just reminded that Mat had proposed a few more default key bindings which seemed good, but which probably need some C++ work to actually make them defaults, so I'll take a quick look at that.
Feel free to edit the OP to add that to the list if so inclined.
As far as #155 and #175, let's just see how those go, I don't think we need to hold anything up for them. (And 155 may wind up requiring AI adjustment)
Alright, so we won't tag them with the "next release" milestone.

This means we have 6 items still open, the 2 items on the list of the OP, the key bindings proposed by Mat you referred to above, and the 3 PRs on github which have been tagged with the "next release" milestone. Looks promising :D

Dilvish

#24 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:This means we have 6 items still open, the 2 items on the list of the OP, the key bindings proposed by Mat you referred to above, and the 3 PRs on github which have been tagged with the "next release" milestone. Looks promising :D
The key bindings for Mat are done, and there are now just 2 PRs open with the 'next release milestone-- yours and vinceles which also appears to be on the verge of being done. As for the two items in the OP, regarding the happiness one, I noted in that thread that due to xenophobe happiness trouble we've been hearing about I think the shipbuilding part of that needs to be put off. I just now fixed the recolonizing sitrep to also take happiness into account.

So it seems we're down to 3 or 4 items now.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

mel_o
Space Floater

#25 Post by mel_o »

I have a branch on my github fork with a functional but partially-completed feature of saving window positions to the OptionsDB which I'd really like to get finished before 0.4.5. I'm sure it'll be done in time but I thought I'd give a heads-up since I haven't created a PR for it yet (I was waiting on another PR to be merged, will create one soon).
Unless stated otherwise, code and scripts provided by me are released under GNU GPL 2.0 (or later) and other content is released under CC BY-SA 3.0.

vincele
Space Dragon

#26 Post by vincele »

Vezzra wrote:Ok, anything that isn't in the list of the OP, but needs to be taken care of for 0.4.5?
175 needs more work, so it may miss the deadline, but it is not a blocker, it can go in after 0.4.5
192 is ready, just in about an hour I'll have it compiled and tested, stay tuned I'll update the PR with a comment about its readiness...

EDIT: and 192 was user-asked-for (in the general UI list)...
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

Dilvish

#27 Post by Dilvish »

vincele wrote:192 is ready, just in about an hour I'll have it compiled and tested, stay tuned I'll update the PR with a comment about its readiness...
Perhaps I'm a bit impatient this morning, it compiled and ran fine for me, the code looked fine, so I've merged it...

vincele
Space Dragon

#28 Post by vincele »

Dilvish wrote:Perhaps I'm a bit impatient this morning, it compiled and ran fine for me, the code looked fine, so I've merged it...
OK, here it is the evening, so impatience is for going to bed :P
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.

vincele
Space Dragon

#29 Post by vincele »

vincele wrote:175 needs more work, so it may miss the deadline, but it is not a blocker, it can go in after 0.4.5
The code needs a rewrite since there have been conflicting changes that have been made to trunk. Do not wait for it, I won't have sufficient time to properly redo it.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#30 Post by MatGB »

Stealth, at a basic level, is fixed ready for the Release, hopefully I found all the clashing effects and commented out the unneccessary bits until we decide what we're doing with it moving forward.
Fix for planetary stealth effects ensuring they don't clash with dete… · freeorion/freeorion@efd3a5b

So, apart from stringtable checking, as far as I'm concerned we're good.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.