Trying to compile on windows 7

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

Trying to compile on windows 7

#1 Post by The Silent One »

I'm trying to compile freeorion. What I've done so far is:
- installed VC 2013 community version (free for open source development)
- downloaded the sdk
- cloned freeorion from github to /SDK/freeorion
- "build solution F7"

Following error appears:

Code: Select all

1>------ Build started: Project: Common, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>  Configuring Version.cpp
1>  Der Befehl ""C:\Users\Martin\Documents\GitHub\FreeOrion SDK\freeorion\msvc2013\..\python.exe"" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder
1>  konnte nicht gefunden werden.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(170,5): error MSB6006: "cmd.exe" exited with code 9009.
2>------ Build started: Project: FreeOrion, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: FreeOrionD, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: FreeOrionCA, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'Common.lib'
4>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'Common.lib'
2>  SitRepPanel.cpp
2>..\..\UI\SitRepPanel.cpp(249): error C2784: '_Ty std::max(std::initializer_list<_Elem>,_Pr)' : could not deduce template argument for 'std::initializer_list<_Elem>' from 'double'
2>          C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\include\algorithm(4108) : see declaration of 'std::max'
2>..\..\UI\SitRepPanel.cpp(249): error C2780: 'const _Ty &std::max(const _Ty &,const _Ty &,_Pr)' : expects 3 arguments - 2 provided
2>          C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\include\algorithm(4101) : see declaration of 'std::max'
2>..\..\UI\SitRepPanel.cpp(249): error C2780: '_Ty std::max(std::initializer_list<_Elem>)' : expects 1 arguments - 2 provided
2>          C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\include\algorithm(4092) : see declaration of 'std::max'
2>..\..\UI\SitRepPanel.cpp(249): error C2782: 'const _Ty &std::max(const _Ty &,const _Ty &)' : template parameter '_Ty' is ambiguous
2>          C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\include\algorithm(4086) : see declaration of 'std::max'
2>          could be 'int'
2>          or       'double'
2>..\..\UI\SitRepPanel.cpp(250): error C2664: 'LinkText::LinkText(const LinkText &)' : cannot convert argument 5 from 'GG::Flags<GG::TextFormat>' to 'const boost::shared_ptr<GG::Font> &'
2>          Reason: cannot convert from 'GG::Flags<GG::TextFormat>' to 'const boost::shared_ptr<GG::Font>'
2>          No user-defined-conversion operator available that can perform this conversion, or the operator cannot be called
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 4 failed, 3 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Does that mean the compiler can't find python? Where would I need to put it? Thanks!

[Edit] Guess despite only small changes I introduced some bugs into the code. I'll have a look at that...
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Trying to compile on windows 7

#2 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:- cloned freeorion from github to /SDK/freeorion
That sounds like you did that step manually. Please note the instructions on the wiki:
1. First, get the FreeOrion SDK for Windows from SourceForge. (~30MB)
2. Unpack the SDK to a directory of your choice.
3. Run the bootstrap.bat file located in the root folder of the unpacked SDK. This will download and check out the source code from GitHub (freeorion/freeorion repository, checked out branch will be "master").
4. Depending on which version of Visual Studio you're using, open FreeOrion\msvc2010\FreeOrion.sln or FreeOrion\msvc2013\FreeOrion.sln
5. Use Build->Build Solution to build all projects' release targets.
(Emphasis added.) Running the bootstrap.bat command file will not only just clone the repo, but also do some setup work, without that the SDK won't work.

The Silent One
Graphics

#3 Post by The Silent One »

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware the bootstrap did more than checking out the source code.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#4 Post by The Silent One »

That worked. Thank you!