Fundraising

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Fundraising

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Another reason not to bother with a Kickstarter campaign is that it would probably fail. Consider: http://ljis17.com/when_indie_dream_turn ... saster.php

Revlot
Space Floater

#17 Post by Revlot »

pd wrote:We could just start a flattr account and see how willing people are to donate something. Once we reach a sufficient amount we can think about the details of contracts and what to focus on.
FreeOrion @ Flattr.com
I understand that this is a work in progress and that my comments here are just comments and NOT requests for immediate code fixes.
Thank you for the work done so far - please continue with whatever part of the game you are currently working on.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#18 Post by Dilvish »

Grrrr. As far as I can tell, those Flattr donations go to some guy AdamSolo for an article he wrote about FreeOrion-- they are NOT going to the FreeOrion project, it looks to me. Geoff, correct me if I am wrong on this. Even though it's been a tiny bit of contribution there, it kinda makes me think perhaps we should go ahead and register the project there so donations intended for us do not get misappropriated, which is bothersome.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by MatGB »

Yup, a very badly written blog post at that (seriously, if you're asking people for money for your writing at the very least get a proofreader that knows the difference between were and where—I forgive a lot on forum posts, especially from non-native speakers, but that article is awful.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...some guy AdamSolo...
Adam Solo writes / organizes (or somesuch) for SpaceSector.com, but is not otherwise affiliated with FreeOrion as far as I recall.

I'm not very familiar with "Flattr" but I recall it being odd in that one didn't need to sign up for anything for them to start taking donation on your behalf.

If you want to set up such an account, feel free...

Dilvish

#21 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I'm not very familiar with "Flattr" but I recall it being odd in that one didn't need to sign up for anything for them to start taking donation on your behalf.
Probably a very good move on their part, to facilitate adoption, but it does still seem strange, I agree.
If you want to set up such an account, feel free...
Ok, I signed up an organizational account for us & our Donations page now has a Image button. Apparently they won't actually make us searchable in their catalog until someone has actually Flattr'd us via the button, so, if anyone has actually signed up with them as a user, a click would be welcome. That would also be nice to confirm that I really have it setup correctly (seems to, but hard to be sure until it gets us into their catalog).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Revlot
Space Floater

#22 Post by Revlot »

Signed up and flattered $5.
I understand that this is a work in progress and that my comments here are just comments and NOT requests for immediate code fixes.
Thank you for the work done so far - please continue with whatever part of the game you are currently working on.

Dilvish

#23 Post by Dilvish »

Cool, many thanks Revlot!

It seems it will take a while longer for the processing to be done to get us into their catalog, but at least they have registered "The FreeOrion Project" as a "Thing" for our account, and we can enter a bit more info for it, including giving it a better image (it starts with their default software image). I've initially updated it (though that too needs more time to get processed) to be the stylized "FreeOrion" logo; the splashscreen space/planet image is another possibility I suppose. If anyone wants to suggest tags to assist with their catalog search please do.

Revlot
Space Floater

#24 Post by Revlot »