Some Help on ground troops & outpost ships

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Snibbo
Space Krill

Some Help on ground troops & outpost ships

#1 Post by Snibbo »

So I have this huge area blocked off by choke points. Now when I go on the attack may war ships canf destroy the en but when I bring up my troops or outpost ships they get destroyed by mines or some such. Some help here pls? or redirect me to the game play help form.

BTW, im so addicted to this game, playing it 24/7

Cheers

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Some Help on ground troops & outpost ships

#2 Post by MatGB »

If the AI has researched mines, you need to design some troop ships with a high enough structure to survive a minefield. The max mines currently deal is 14 damage per turn, so that's not too difficult, but a planet to be invaded needs to have zero shields, and will rebuild ground defences if you move a fleet away, so keeping a picket garrison in orbit while the troop ships come up is essential.

I tend to use organic hulls for troop ships, 3 troop pods and my one of best armour works well for most of the game, once you've got AIs with very high tech hulls then moving to your better hull types is worth it but needs more planning as you need to build them at more dedicated locations.

Outpost ships are generally only needed to extend supply lines, and most of the time space elevators do the job better.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Snibbo
Space Krill

#3 Post by Snibbo »

Thanx heaps, here I was using the cheapest hulls for troops LOL

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Organics are the cheapest hulls ;-)

But the other issue with doing that is ship production costs go up by 1% for every ship you have, so three Troop Ships increase costs by 3%, whereas an organic is only 1%. Generally, bigger hulls are better, once you get the hang of it, I like to use Quantum hulls as troop carriers, even if you only use a couple of their slots they're more cost effective (at the moment, we're reviewing all hull costs, partially because of this experience).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#5 Post by shawndream »

MatGB wrote:Generally, bigger hulls are better, once you get the hang of it, I like to use Quantum hulls as troop carriers, even if you only use a couple of their slots they're more cost effective (at the moment, we're reviewing all hull costs, partially because of this experience).
As an FYI ships are used up entirely or not at all, so the larger the ship, the more troops tend to be wasted with each invasion.

This does not currently matter because troops are stupidly cheap.

I would like to see that changed, not sure how yet.
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Shawn, think you missed the bit where I said "even if you only use a couple of their slots", although admittedly that's not as clear on reread as I meant it to be.

Quantum Hull base cost is ludicrously low, ergo adding 4 or 5 troop pods to it, no need for armour it's base structure is 100, is cheaper than building pretty much anything else, and they're far faster. When I'm using energy line hulls, that's what I go for most times, although the base slots use'll increase with the new test release given we're going up from base 8 to base 12 for native troops.
Mat Bowles