That annoying moment when...

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

That annoying moment when...

#1 Post by MatGB »

The first of the five colony ships you ordered many turns ago from your recently conquered Ugmors turns up at the intended destination system and the huge inferno world is telling you it's hostile.

And you realise you ordered the colony ships from the Hhohh in the same system, not the Ugmors, and the huge tundra/desert worlds you've discovered are entirely the other direction /away/ from your homeworld area.

So, I now need to find 5 suitable desert/tundra worlds and also reorder 5 Ugmor colony ships. Playing on medium or lots of planets hurts my brain, I think this is why I enjoy Low/Low/Low more, mistakes like this are less common.

What's the daftest mistake in game you're prone to?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Hihoo
Space Kraken

Re: That annoying moment when...

#2 Post by Hihoo »

1) same
2) fighting species which will be nice enough to terminate themselves
3) fighting species at all instead of taking care of monsternests first

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:...And you realise you ordered the colony ships from the Hhohh in the same system, not the Ugmors, and the huge tundra/desert worlds you've discovered are entirely the other direction /away/ from your homeworld area...
I've had the same kind of thing happen to me quite often, though most often it's military ships that wind up with an inferior pilot species rather than a colony ship with the wrong species. I'll take a bit more of a look at the sidepanel code; perhaps the border around the selected planet could be broader, or something else as well to make it more noticeable. Though, just checking it now out on purpose it seems fairly clear, it might be one of those in-a-hurry things where it just doesn't much matter how clear the planet indicator is; you still have to remember that you want a particular planet or double check the species.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Pretty much, it happens rarely to me, but does sometimes happen, and yeah, done the wrong pilots thing as well, both Mu Ursh an Gysache on a converted Black Hole system, I even managed to build the only energy converter on the wrong system and not notice for a few turns, then even knowing I'd got one on the wrong planet as well I still built a pile of Fractal hulls with the can't shoot a barn door Gysache.

In the short term, it's genuinely my mistake and the UI is clear enough, just not paying attention—it wasn't just that I'd ordered them from the wrong planet, I'd sent each off to their planned locations, selecting each in turn, renaming the fleets for post stargate orders, given them orders post stargate transport, then still not noticed despite it clearly saying "hhohh" instead of Ugmors.

Later, still playing the same game, I ordered the Gysache near a new system to build a colony ship, a few turns later conquered some Scylior and ordered them to build a ship for the same system.

I've decided I'm sticking to Low planets for some time, that's for sure.

(lighthearted thread, but it'd be nice to redo the way we colonise within supply at some point, just because the current method is a PITA of management an memory)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#5 Post by shawndream »

I'm a fan of expensive colony ships being able to slowly build outposts specialized for a given race.

With the right social advances a planet should allow multiple colonies of races living in harmony. (And enemy or allied colonies as well, stealth colonies, etc).

Cap colonies at twice their production in pp, so new colonies need the colony ships production of housing and population overflow.

With colony production caps and penalty for population growth of non-native races (until social advances researched) choice of initial race matters again, and gysache can't build massive fleets from a single tiny eaxaw world.

Social advances could let population flow between supply connected world to allow established colonies to help bring new ones up.

(I'm always trying to think of ways to add non-combat options for strategy and advancement).
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

OllyG
Space Kraken

#6 Post by OllyG »

When a ship is built or even building it could be nice to have a 'special' on the ship to show if it has good pilots or what species a colony pod is. Pictures are somehow clearer than words. Even having the damage listed in Green or Red for good or bad pilots may make things a bit clearer.

I'd also really like it if species which can't build ships also can't build shipyards - I've had a few shipyards which can't build anything before! :oops:

Also be good if energy converters could only be built at colonies with useful stars - like Neutronium Extractors. Stopping players being stupid is always useful!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

A species icon could possibly be added to ship production items... There's not much space, so it'd probably have to be on the bottom row, possibly only visible when the production location is visible in the top row.

Special cases for good/bad ratings in particular stats are less likely.