In praise of recent changes

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

In praise of recent changes

#1 Post by MatGB »

Sometimes, it can be that, as we're testing, reporting bugs and highlighting perceived problems, that all we/I do is complain.

Well, one of my complaints for the last few months has been lag/memory leak, and while it's not solved, it's definitely better and getting better, which is a damn good thing, I'm finding myself able to play larger, more challenging, maps again, and the game is more fun as a result.

My other issue has been the problems with the AI, bad choices, etc.

In my current game, I'm close to turn 200, and there's still an AI outproducing and outreseaarching me, and we've had a stalemate conflict with systems changing hands for some time now. I'm actually having to work to defeat it, think through what I'm doing and I'm losing battles I expect to win, etc as they throw in better reinforcements and have better ships.

My 'zerg rush'/scissors approach has hit a very big rock, and it's backed up by some scary nasty ship designs I haven't seen for ages.

So, to all that've been working on the issues, especially Dilvish taking feedback on AI ship designs and behaviour, my thanks. I'm stuck in a game and think I might lose it.

It's been so long since that has happened that it's worth remarking on.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Hihoo
Space Kraken

Re: In praise of recent changes

#2 Post by Hihoo »

looks like i have to get my robotics ready
seed?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Hihoo wrote:looks like i have to get my robotics ready
seed?
zero, as it happens, but with a much bigger map.
20131219_161823_capture_001_sm.png
I'm finding young galaxies to be quite interesting, I put planets and native to medium/medium rather than low/low and may replay the same seed with them at low/low or low/none, and see how that changes things.

One choice I made that I'm not sure was right was to not colonise the toxic world in starter system straight away, I built a base and waited till I found another location, don't think I'll do that again.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Hihoo
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Hihoo »

I built a base and waited till I found another location, don't think I'll do that again.
Laerned not to do it this way either. take imm what you can get, too many things could come in- between