So this changed everything.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Darknote
Space Krill

So this changed everything.

#1 Post by Darknote »

I decided to give Orion another shot after being severely disapointed in basically EVERY space RTS game ever (Except Aurora 4X, that game is so detailed T.T)
So, I started the game (With version 4.3+) and chose a random seed (6Bf2Horx) and started.
I hoped there would be a blue star or a red star, because I like them more than yellow ones (Sorry sun, you too generic) and bam, I get a black hole. My entire species evolved near a black hole.
What?
It wasn't a star orbiting one, but a single black hole.
I mean, yeah, logically speaking a planet can be stuck in a black-hole's gravity, and just spin around it, but an entire life ecosystem developing on it? (I chose humans, yeah I'm nationalistic, shush).
Is it a bug? 'Cause I wasn't sure. Anyway, please give it a shot guys. Also the starting system name is Twilight.

~Thanks for reading!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: So this changed everything.

#2 Post by MatGB »

You lucky git. Finding a black hole that's got an inhabitable planet is hard enough, starting on one?

Obviously the Experimentor and Tester precursors that seeded that galaxy had a sense of humour.

(and yeah, not a bug, not really a feature, just a factor of how the random seed works, makign universe generation more reliable is a much later thing in the dev plans, personally I'd rather play up that the whole galaxy is a creation of the precursors and doesn't have to make sense a bit more)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Darknote
Space Krill

#3 Post by Darknote »

I see. Welp, you can play on it if you'd like.

Adamant
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Adamant »

I am not sure if StarSystems with Planets keep intact as stabled coupled Sys in Closeness of BlackHoles BUT we COULD put even single Planets without Orbit into Nodes while we should consider to put even whole (multiple?) StarSys as SubNodes of Node containing BlackHole while in our own Galaxy its natural .. Massive BlackHole Gravity Center got this Century discovered and interesting Activities happens there -- you can shot each Year a clearly different Picture from and Science got already a whole Sequence from showing there Stars orbiting clearly the BlackHole - in Scope of this Thread we may wonder if these Stars keep their Planets or do they swirl in that SpaceTime-Soup with together relative independent with the Starts - we see on Pictures just Stars while any Planets we can not identify via Light - we could guess when a Flash happens a Star consumed another relativistic Planet that passed the Way.

Brief Resume: There are Stars and surely also Planets - we may wonder what tehy do there - we may speculate if there Life is possible requiring stable Orbits inside habitable Zone of Star - but we here we can think BlackHole as Node-Object to house multiple other Stars as its Quasi-Planets and wonder of these Kind of Planets do house Objects we traditionally call Planets but in previous Analogy with Stars as Planets the previous Planets get downgraded to Moons while that all offer Opportunity to advance present Planets to have more real Moons instead a Planet-Special- Flag.

However, I consider the Question of BlackHole with Planets to be reasonable but can say it is not that unresonable like People think HBlackHoles eats all - so there are no orbiting Objects. So left Question what Conditins there are, which perhaps change even Tundra to Inferno resp how to deal that Conditions in Scope of Suitability for Inhabitation resp Colonization. First of all: without a close Star all PhotoSynthesis and PhotoVoltaic like Generation resp Participation to use existing Energy by Gradients of their Potential to drive anything like Mobile or Metabolism appears doubtfull while other Sources for Energy-diffPotential, eg Vulcanism which heat the Waters and drive Biology in another Way could be possible respecting Arguments I listed here.

However, I RESPECT the Way you made your Opinion but can tell your Concerns is for me lesser sure then for you - as long as no better Idea exist about all we may accept that BlackHoles have orbiting Objects.

We may wonder if stable PlanetSystems there could exist or how long solo orbiting Planets keep there moving and what State they get when compressed by own increasing Gravitiy-Effects - and thus heat by Compression while make it harder to perform Infrastructure- like things as even stand up means anytime Trouble. At present Science is rather unsure about what is really happens there why it is interested to collect Informations from that Location its Activities. Sure is just that there exist Kind of Limit experienced like a Border where Observers outside dont get anymore Informations by Light from that passing that Limit and one Explanation is it is an EventHorizon - other Ideas exist as well as we can perhaps onfirm we dont see anymore anything from Objects passing that Limit but as we dont see what happens after to them we can not know that way what it is. Sure is that there happens very energetic Phenomens - we may wonder how that Happenings get experienced there resp if something could survive in that Environment. IF we think of Idea of GRT that something really fast moving experience another TimeShift and we see such an Astronaut aging extreme slowly resp we think he stand alomost still - we expect he would see us getting inverse always get faster till disappearing due to HighSpeed - OR does he see same for use getting slower. However, we did afaik observe reaally high energetic Events and may wonder if it matters if sombody is there really slow while would he be really quick due to his own TimeFrame than that matters of definitely

Consider Birds flying in the Air and see a SuperSonicJet coming up and accellerate till mystic Limit of SonicSpeed and BANG .. we may guess what happen there as we can not anymore see him.
Pure Cyan harms PhotoReceptors doubtless - even half Portion appears mysterious.

Adamant
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Adamant »

Addition: when we observe that Objects gets disrupted into single Pieces we may doubt that same Object did by own local Perspective experience Flowers spreading along his Trajectory and saw anything else we wont guess.

My Idea is it experience increasing Gravity that causes collapse anytime and when it is still not spin-resonant it gets deformed causing Heat ... we may wonder if increasd Forces of Bindings can deal with that Heat - at least on Jupiter do its closest Moon deal with by extreme Vulcanism -- we may assert even more drastic Effects close to BlackHole but wont we speculate about we wont try to observe Sgt A* to get better Idea what really happens there.

For Idea of increased Gravity I miss News that Stars are more compact and thus burn hotter resp more effictive their Fuel etc .. we see them just swirling around there - and perhaps flashes when something disappear - see Bang-Argument above.

Perhaps try the Exo-Planet-Hunter-Gear there?
Pure Cyan harms PhotoReceptors doubtless - even half Portion appears mysterious.