v0.4.3 Release Preparations

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Num7
Space Squid

Re: v0.4.3 Release Preparations

#16 Post by Num7 »

I expect to make the requested updates in the random seed button patch tonight. Just letting you know. :)
If this post contains code, it's released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Is there anything else you want to get done before [RC1]?
Nothing else comes to mind.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:Is there anything else you want to get done before [RC1]?
Nothing else comes to mind.
Well, then, unless anyone raises objections the upcoming monday builds will be 0.4.3 RC1. I'll update the version strings, any volunteers for the changelog?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Crap, I think nobody thought of commenting out the Super-Tester Takeover building. Question: In case RC1 already turns out to be sufficiently bug-free and stable, should we just live with it, make a new build for the release, or put out RC2 nonetheless?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#20 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Crap, I think nobody thought of commenting out the Super-Tester Takeover building. Question: In case RC1 already turns out to be sufficiently bug-free and stable, should we just live with it, make a new build for the release, or put out RC2 nonetheless?
Good Catch! It's really Geoff's call, but I would think that we would want to comment out the building for the stable release, and that a bit of delay at this point could be acceptable. There's nothing to say that RC1 has to last a whole week -- when would be the next reasonably convenient time for you to put out an RC2 (if that winds up being the call)?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm not particularly concerned about having testing stuff be available in releases, as long as it's optional, though I recognize the various other do find it objectionable. This case is less of an issue than previously, though, as it used to be that AIs would randomly be assigned super testers as a species, while now they won't, and won't build the takeover building.

Dilvish

#22 Post by Dilvish »

Unfortunately, it turned out I omitted a key "--" in that last minute sitrep coding, which resulted in only half the sitreps (of any given kind) getting sorted (In my previous testing I guess I had singletons and a big group that still wound up altogether). So it was giving things like
sitreps1.png
sitreps1.png (29.81 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
when it should have given (and now gives)
sitreps2.png
sitreps2.png (29 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
I just committed the fix for that.

p.s. the modified sitrep wording shown above is not part of what I committed (it seems that should probably wait until after 0.4.3), I just committed the fix on sorting of sitreps in the list.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish

#23 Post by Dilvish »

One other thing I just got done in addition to the sitrep sorting fix above, was fixing a smallish bug with the AI which was causing it to prematurely terminate its 'Secure a Location" missions -- like for a colony mission in a system that had an armed enemy, it would have a military fleet go in and clear the system, but then consider its 'Secure' mission complete (and possibly then leave for another mission) even if the colonization mission hadn't finished yet, which would sometimes cause it problems like losing a colony ship. It was a fairly small revision to the AI code, & I've been testing it a bit & it seems fine, but I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and commit it or let it wait until after 0.4.3 -- please let me know.

Geoff the Medio

#24 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:It was a fairly small revision to the AI code, & I've been testing it a bit & it seems fine, but I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and commit it or let it wait until after 0.4.3 -- please let me know.
Sounds like we'll need an RC2 anyway, so go ahead...

Comment out the super testers while you're at it?

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by yandonman »

Testing of RC1 seems pretty good. The new icons have a nice polished look. The random button is nice. The AI at aggressive is beatable if you play smart and will eat you if you play stupid - which is good.

Minor (non-blocking) notes:
  • Snowflakes' detection range (150) seems a bit OP
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#26 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Unfortunately, it turned out I omitted a key "--" in that last minute sitrep coding, which resulted in only half the sitreps (of any given kind) getting sorted
Yep, I noticed that too and wanted to submit a bug report today - which isn't necessary anymore :)
Dilvish wrote:It was a fairly small revision to the AI code, & I've been testing it a bit & it seems fine, but I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and commit it or let it wait until after 0.4.3 -- please let me know.
Well, getting this kind of bugfixing done is what RCs are for, so I'd say, go ahead and commit it.

MiniMe
Space Squid

#27 Post by MiniMe »

Two notes on 6257:

- speed modifiers still dont show/work (Infrastructure Ecology and Lighthouse). Mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7635
- the sitrep has a new sorting. Was there a reason?
I prefered the old way where all corresponding events were grouped, ie. colonizations, invasions, discoveries, etc. Now it's all mixed around by whatever order.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#28 Post by Vezzra »

MiniMe wrote:Two notes on 6257:

- speed modifiers still dont show/work (Infrastructure Ecology and Lighthouse). Mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7635
Hm, I hadn't noticed any problems in my test games so far, so I can't comment much on that - concerning Infrastructure Ecology, did you take into account that your fleets need to be close to one of your systems to get the bonus?
- the sitrep has a new sorting. Was there a reason?
viewtopic.php?p=62539#p62539
I prefered the old way where all corresponding events were grouped, ie. colonizations, invasions, discoveries, etc. Now it's all mixed around by whatever order.
That's a bug, see above.
Last edited by Vezzra on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#29 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:There's nothing to say that RC1 has to last a whole week
Agreed, provided all open bug reports and pending issues that should be fixed before 0.4.3 have been addressed. Speaking of which, you haven't committed the small bugfix for the AI yet - currently I'm assuming that this should go in before 0.4.3, so I'll have to wait with RC2 until that's done anyway.

It might also be reasonable to wait at least a few days to see if other issues turn up, instead of making a new RC every time a bug is fixed. But of course we don't have to wait for Monday every time :)
when would be the next reasonably convenient time for you to put out an RC2 (if that winds up being the call)?
Basically anytime you want (well, let's say any day you want, in the evening - not at 4AM when I'm soundly asleep ;)), except Friday evening and Saturday.

That said, unless specifically requested otherwise, I'd aim for Monday evening for the next RC build. Just let me know...

MiniMe
Space Squid

#30 Post by MiniMe »

Vezzra wrote:
MiniMe wrote:Two notes on 6257:

Hm, I hadn't noticed any problems in my test games so far, so I can't comment much on that - concerning Infrastructure Ecology, did you take into account that your fleets need to be close to one of your systems to get the bonus?
The fleets are parked in my system. One of the planets has a Lighthouse.
As explained in the other thread (screenshot), the "Lighthouse +20" bonus is added, but most of the time there is a "Unknown -20" malus as well.
This malus only shows when there is a Lighthouse.

Thanks for the link to the sitrep discussion, must have missed that.

Edit: posted a save-game in the other thread.