introducing ourselves

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Do you think, tis is a needet thread?

jip
67%
nope
33%

Total votes: 64

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#31 Post by skdiw »

I thought nobody is checking this thread since it's so old, but whatever.

My age is 22, am male, live in America for most of my life

I have been an avid gamer since a little kid. My favorite games of all time include: Moo 1, just about all of Blizzard's games, and Super Smash Brothers.

I have several friends who are in the gaming business and about half of them started their own or planing on it. We have made simple DOS games back in the days, but now none of us have that much time anymore. My goal here is to put FO into my list of all time favorites.
:mrgreen:

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#32 Post by Krikkitone »

28/m/South California

Bio graduate student, Empire builder fan from Civ 1

Got to see and contribute slightly to 'the elephant' of MOO3 before it was gutted. Currently have a ~100 page DD for MOO4 (although I have only the most minimal programming experience, so I have a feeling it would be a massive progamming job that would only run on a Cray, but with Moore's Law...)

just found out about this and thought it might help to have FO floating out there avoiding the mistakes of MOO3 to show anyone making the next great galactic empire game what to do.

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#33 Post by That Guy »

I am not exactly "new" to the board, but I just found this thread.

16/M/Trenton, Ontario, Canada

I think the original poster said something about possible job, 3D Animation. I am quickly learning it in school, and should be up to speed by December.

Well, I am taking Comm Tech(3D right now) and programming, but they are teaching us a language called turing(I like it better then Visual Basic).
I have been watching Voyager since the age of 6, now watch all treks. I am a huge sci-fi ship buff, and love the battle scenes in shows. I am well versed in many off the combat systems of the ships in Star Trek(especially), Andromeda, and Star Wars(not as much). I also was disappointed by MOO3, but in the combat area mostly. When they originally described combat, they implied that the ships were free to move around in the TF.

PS How do I join the graphics team?
PPS I couldn't stand the no moving thing, in DS9, during the war, I could picture an entire fleet of captains saying "evasive manouvers ensign console explode!" if they saw a dominion frieghter, just for the mellowdramatics. :lol:
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Almkaz
Space Floater

#34 Post by Almkaz »

My name is Andrew, I'm 31 and live in Ottawa, Canada.

I've been programming professionally for 10 years - during that time I've been the lead programmer for Jagged Alliance 2 and a senior developer for Wizardry 8. Both these games are turned-based - one a strategy game and the other a RPG.

I love 4X games starting with Civ I and Moo 1.

I too am determined to put FO on my list of all time best strat games.

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#35 Post by Nightfish »

Almkaz wrote:I've been programming professionally for 10 years - during that time I've been the lead programmer for Jagged Alliance 2 ...
Seriously? Wow, that's one of my all time favorite games. :)

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

Voice In the Wilderness
Space Floater

I am the Voice in the Wilderness

#36 Post by Voice In the Wilderness »

I am the Voice in the Wilderness, and I bring a warning: Darkness will cover this place, Darkness will cover you....If you do not act with Noble Purpose.

We are nothing without Noble Purpose. This must be more than a clash of men in rubber suits, it must be a clash of idealogies. Hivemind race vs. Egalitarian race vs. Machine race...that is it....not Insects vs. Bears. If it is, it needs to be different. The Purpose, is that this must not be a struggle between interchangeable races: each must be unique, each must bring something new, to be decided. We are nothing without Noble Purpose.....

gralves
Space Floater

#37 Post by gralves »

23/M/São Paulo - Brazil

I'm a graduate student on inteligent production system (automation). I recently graduated on mechatronic engineering.

I joined the project a long time ago (on the old forums) but I had to quit for 2/3 months because of my job / graduate classes. I intend to help on programming and filling forum space on the general discussion area :).

FoolishBose
Krill Swarm

#38 Post by FoolishBose »

19/M/New York

I'm currently a biochem/biophysics major in college. I've got a bit of programming experience in Java and C++. I love strategy games and that's why I'm here...to help make FO the most enjoyable game out there. I love writing, so if any manuals need to be written, race bios/histories, tech. descriptions, I'm there for you guys!

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#39 Post by skdiw »

Check out the story thread.
:mrgreen:

mart7x5
Space Floater

#40 Post by mart7x5 »

Hi, just found this page a couple of months ago, and recently i started to share my ideas. This project is wonderful and has great potential, coz we can discuss every detail of the game here, and so many people can contribute their ideas. A little about me:

32/m/Salt Lake City and originally from Poland

Presently i study in Utah, but soon i'm going to graduate and either stay here or go to Europe. My first strategy games were board games, and i designed some board games when i was 10....... computers were pretty slow at that time compared to nowadays, and printed games on paper were much much better back then. My favo games: Civs, Smac, Moo (though i would change them heavily ;) ), Star Trek the Birth of Federation, Star Wars Rebellion, Heroes of Might and Magic, and more.... I do a little programming, and hope to program professionally some day.

mr_ed
Space Squid

#41 Post by mr_ed »

Almkaz wrote:My name is Andrew, I'm 31 and live in Ottawa, Canada.

I've been programming professionally for 10 years - during that time I've been the lead programmer for Jagged Alliance 2 and a senior developer for Wizardry 8. Both these games are turned-based - one a strategy game and the other a RPG.

I love 4X games starting with Civ I and Moo 1.

I too am determined to put FO on my list of all time best strat games.
I may have met you when I came in once for an interview at SirTech. :wink:

Starrh
Space Squid

Re: introducing ourselves

#42 Post by Starrh »

Okarena wrote:introducing ourselves

It is not easy to get a good overview about the members here. So please post your stats. thnx.
I am Male 46 married and I live in California where I farm with my family. I have been messing with computers since I was at Jr. college sneaking onto the main frame using someone else's account. (before Hacking). I have basically been programming one form of basic or another since then, writing several billing programs one for a local water district. But mostly just just glorified data base tasks for the farm. I have also had some experience with pascal and for a brief year I stubbed my toe on C++. I found I was not a real pointers type of guy :idea:. I found this spot while looking for an updated version of Stars! since their version appears to be on indefinite hold. Not sure I will be much help because you folks are a bit out of my league programing wise(GG very impressive Zach). I thank you for turning me onto python I missed the old interpreted language days. I do have some skill working with sonar(Music and midi editing software). I also have minimum skill with Adobe primer 6.5 and Adobe After Effects(Just learning) for what that's worth. One thing about wandering around on this site I may not help much but I am learning a lot. Thanks

Marijn
Space Squid

#43 Post by Marijn »

Ah, an introduction thread.

I am Marijn (that is my real name). I am 24 years old, living in Nijmegen in the Netherlands. I am currently finishing my sociology study, I also did a few years of computer science. My contribution to freeorion will mostly be programming, I've been messing around with code ever since my parents got a commodore 64 in 1990 or so, but I also like to think I can do design and some 3d modeling.

Ragnar
Space Squid

#44 Post by Ragnar »

31/M/McKinney, TX, USA

Ragnar is my real name. I am a Quality Engineer in defense electronics. Former Active Duty Army Officer, and currently in the National Guard (Military Intelligence - don't say it :wink: ) I've been playing games since grade school, pretty much any game you can think of. TBS is my favorite. MOO2 is probably my favorite computergame. As for message boards, I'm a professional lurker, this is the first board I've posted on. I hope to help with some ideas. I've created pen and paper games, but my programming is lacking.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#45 Post by Satyagraha »

24/m/austria
multimedia-design student

discovered this site today. i like civ/moo/AC-type of games mostly because of the politics & nation-building-aspects, no other game-type has that. well, so hopefully i´ll be of some use here :)