Rogue Fleets : Newbie Question

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

doublemandala
Space Krill

Rogue Fleets : Newbie Question

#1 Post by doublemandala »

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before.

What are the White Rogue Fleets? What do they represent?

And how can I fight back against them?

Thanks for any responses, Free Orion is a pretty cool game. :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Rogue Fleets : Newbie Question

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

A "Rogue Fleet" would be a fleet that doesn't contain monsters and isn't owned by any empire.

In what situation did one appear in your game, and what version are you playing?

doublemandala
Space Krill

#3 Post by doublemandala »

Geoff the Medio wrote:A "Rogue Fleet" would be a fleet that doesn't contain monsters and isn't owned by any empire.

In what situation did one appear in your game, and what version are you playing?
The newest version, 0.4.2.

They appear when my fleet is next to an Alien outpost, and they comprise of "captured" ships from my fleet.

As far as I know, they are not "captured" due to telepathy, because they do not change colour to another alien race.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

doublemandala wrote:They appear when my fleet is next to an Alien outpost...
Define "Alien outpost"?
As far as I know, they are not "captured" due to telepathy, because they do not change colour to another alien race.
What colour are they?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by eleazar »

doublemandala wrote:As far as I know, they are not "captured" due to telepathy, because they do not change colour to another alien race.
Telepathy doesn't capture anything. "Psychgenic Domination" does -- an end-game tech. There should be a sit-rep message when it happens.

doublemandala
Space Krill

#6 Post by doublemandala »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
doublemandala wrote:They appear when my fleet is next to an Alien outpost...
Define "Alien outpost"?
What colour are they?
I had a fleet of ships (10) go to a Star, where I had an outpost

When they arrived, 4 converted to a White Rogue Fleet. The rest of my ships then remained with them.

Then next turn while in Sheliak a battle occurred between my ships and the Rogue Fleet and my ships were destroyed.

I didn't send down another fleet. The same type of conversion occured in Scheat.

I thought maybe it was "Psychgenic Domination", however that did occur in Ragnarok with a purple coloured race, and my ships turned purple and controlled by that race.

So right now, I am thinking a Rogue Fleet can be some hidden type of fleet I cannot detect without the right tech.

I would attach a screen shot, but the maximum allowed size is 1 MiB.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Your ships might be falling under the control of a Psionic Snowflake monster. Looking at the effects script, it could still happen even if you have Psychogenic Domination.
doublemandala wrote:I would attach a screen shot, but the maximum allowed size is 1 MiB.
Use a different file format. Unless you've got an incredibly huge monitor resolution, a PNG or JPG screenshot should be under that size limit. Also, crop it to just show the relevant bits; there's no need to break the horizontal scroll of the forum layout.

markpi
Space Floater

#8 Post by markpi »

pic can be easily shrinked using paint (change size)

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#9 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
doublemandala wrote:I would attach a screen shot, but the maximum allowed size is 1 MiB.
Use a different file format. Unless you've got an incredibly huge monitor resolution, a PNG or JPG screenshot should be under that size limit. Also, crop it to just show the relevant bits; there's no need to break the horizontal scroll of the forum layout.
Yup, I've had to do cropping on screen shots to get it under 1mb, plus helps to reduce the horizontal scrolling, though I know for some of mine there has probably been some for most.

Also going into options and turning off background options helps a lot with reducing the size for compressed images (like png or jpeg), had to do that for one I did.

doublemandala
Space Krill

#10 Post by doublemandala »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Your ships might be falling under the control of a Psionic Snowflake monster. Looking at the effects script, it could still happen even if you have Psychogenic Domination.
Thanks for the help guys.

Here is the screen shot:
Attachments
Screen Shot - White Rogue Fleet.jpg
Screen Shot - White Rogue Fleet.jpg (192.52 KiB) Viewed 2661 times

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

doublemandala wrote:Here is the screen shot:
With the size shrunk down like that, I can't really see what's in the screenshot. "crop" is not "rescale".

doublemandala
Space Krill

#12 Post by doublemandala »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
doublemandala wrote:Here is the screen shot:
With the size shrunk down like that, I can't really see what's in the screenshot. "crop" is not "rescale".
Modified. Screen Shot 2.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2.gif
Screen Shot 2.gif (520.75 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Looks consistent with the Psionic Snowflake theory. A quick look at the scripts suggest they'd have stealth about 80, and your empire detection strength is 50, so you wouldn't be able to see them.

doublemandala
Space Krill

#14 Post by doublemandala »

A White Rogue Fleet just moved to Ras, then 2 of my ships in the Deep Space area converted.
Attachments
Screen Shot 4.gif
Screen Shot 4.gif (60.32 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
Screen Shot 3.gif
Screen Shot 3.gif (109.63 KiB) Viewed 2659 times

Geoff the Medio

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Possibly the snowflake is in that fleet then. It can convert from one system away, based on the scripts.