Common build error

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

georgido
Space Floater

Common build error

#1 Post by georgido »

I 'm using windows7 x64 and vs2010 and trying to compile based on the compilation instructions. However I'm having trouble building Common project. Here 's what I get:

1>------ Build started: Project: Common, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Build started 14/1/2013 1:56:43 μμ.
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1> Touching "Release\Common.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>CustomBuild:
1> Make Version.cpp
1> Το σύστημα δεν είναι σε θέση να εντοπίσει την καθορισμένη διαδρομή δίσκου.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB6006: "cmd.exe" exited with code 3.
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.08
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

what the bold line says is about the system not being able to locate a path or something... any help?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Common build error

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What version of the SDK do you have? python.exe was added recently in the root FreeOrion directory in order to run a script to generate Version.cpp.

georgido
Space Floater

#3 Post by georgido »

I assume the latest... as the instructions say i chose SVN update for the checkout...
so i just run the script using python.exe and then common can be build? and if so can you tell me the commands to use to run the script? thanks

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

georgido wrote:I assume the latest... as the instructions say i chose SVN update for the checkout...
When did you download your SDK? The current SDK is from Jan 1st 2013 (download link). SVN update just updates your sources, not all the contents of the SDK.
so i just run the script using python.exe and then common can be build? and if so can you tell me the commands to use to run the script? thanks
No. The script is run automatically when you build FO, it's a special build step which calls the python.exe shipping with the SDK. If this python.exe is missing, the build step and consequently the entire build fails.

Which SVN client are you using? TortoiseSVN?

georgido
Space Floater

#5 Post by georgido »

Vezzra wrote:When did you download your SDK? The current SDK is from Jan 1st 2013 (download link). SVN update just updates your sources, not all the contents of the SDK.
downloaded the sdk yesterday...
Vezzra wrote:No. The script is run automatically when you build FO, it's a special build step which calls the python.exe shipping with the SDK. If this python.exe is missing, the build step and consequently the entire build fails.
the python.exe is actually there, checked it...
Vezzra wrote:Which SVN client are you using? TortoiseSVN?
yes, tortoiseSVN...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

georgido wrote:the python.exe is actually there, checked it...
yes, tortoiseSVN...
In that case we'll need an exact translation of the bold line to figure out what's going wrong.

georgido
Space Floater

#7 Post by georgido »

Vezzra wrote:In that case we'll need an exact translation of the bold line to figure out what's going wrong.
"The system is unable to locate the specified path in the disk."

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

georgido wrote:"The system is unable to locate the specified path in the disk."
Oh, how I love error messages like that... can't VS tell which path exactly causes problems? *grumble* Well, better than the GPF we got back in the days of Windows 3.1...

I'll try to figure something out, but that has to wait a bit (busy right now).

georgido
Space Floater

#9 Post by georgido »

Vezzra wrote:
georgido wrote:"The system is unable to locate the specified path in the disk."
Oh, how I love error messages like that... can't VS tell which path exactly causes problems? *grumble* Well, better than the GPF we got back in the days of Windows 3.1...

I'll try to figure something out, but that has to wait a bit (busy right now).
sure, thanks...

georgido
Space Floater

#10 Post by georgido »

I guess i figured the problem... I had unzipped the sdk in a folder with non-latin characters... moved it to the root and it built just fine... sorry for the trouble...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

georgido wrote:I guess i figured the problem... I had unzipped the sdk in a folder with non-latin characters... moved it to the root and it built just fine... sorry for the trouble...
No problem :) It's nice that it has been so easy to fix. I've already suspected that it could have to do with something like that, would have been my first try to troubleshoot the issue anyway.

Happy compiling! ;)

georgido
Space Floater

#12 Post by georgido »

ok so now i have another problem. i compiled everything succesfully and now there is the freeorion.exe file in freeorion folder, which i assume is the executable to start the game. however, when i run it two black windows appear and then i get message from windows that freeorion.exe stopped working. i tried running it from cmd but same thing happened. when i tried to run FreeOrion -h however, the help menu appeared without a problem. any ideas?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

There are log files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion, put them in a zip archive and attach the archive to a post here in this thread. Then we can take a look at them.

georgido
Space Floater

#14 Post by georgido »

there was only one empty folder named save and an empty txt file named freeorion... nothing else... :/

there are however some crash dump files located in the Local/CrashDumps folder in appdata... will these do the job? their name is FreeOrion.exe and a 4-digit number... i 'm uploading them just in case they're useful...
Attachments
CrashDumps.zip
(891.05 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Immediate crash on startup's not a good sign. You can try running with the debugger attached and see if you can localize where it's crashing, possibly by stepping through execution. It might be a graphics issue / problem startup up Ogre, or a logging issue... Does your Windows username have non-latin characters in it? Issues with them seemed to have been fixed a few months ago, but it's possble there are still issues.