Obsolete Parts Filter?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

Obsolete Parts Filter?

#1 Post by Dart00_Tech »

There are many filters that show/hide parts. An example would be "Short Range", "Shields", "Armor", etc...."

Could we have a filter "Obsolete" to hide any outdated parts.

Such as I research Laser 2 and 3. When I look at the parts, most likely im never going to use lasers 1 and 2 again and they seem to clog up the parts window. If you research a LOT of techs this window can get very cluttered when I only care about the best part for each category.

If there was a "Obsolete" filter that would hide all the parts except for the most important, it would be greatly apprsheated, and even cut down rendering time and reduce lag.

Thanks!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Obsolete Parts Filter?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Yes, that's been something on my mind periodically; if no one beats me to it I expect I'll get around to something on it eventually
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Alternatively, all the PartName N+1 parts could be removed and replaced with refinement techs that apply bonuses to the relevant parts. There would be only one PartName to list, and no need to hide large numbers of obsolete parts.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Alternatively, all the PartName N+1 parts could be removed and replaced with refinement techs that apply bonuses to the relevant parts. There would be only one PartName to list, and no need to hide large numbers of obsolete parts.
Yeah, could we add a line to the part definition that would list all other part that it makes obsolete?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Alternatively, all the PartName N+1 parts could be removed and replaced with refinement techs that apply bonuses to the relevant parts. There would be only one PartName to list, and no need to hide large numbers of obsolete parts.
Yeah, could we add a line to the part definition that would list all other part that it makes obsolete?
I suppose, but what does that have to do with the text you quoted?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:
I suppose, but what does that have to do with the text you quoted?
Yeah, that's unclear.

I agree that truly obsolete parts should be removed from the Design list, rather than being filtered out.

What i'm not so sure about is giving ships magic, instant upgrades when you research a tech. I think it can be OK in some circumstances (Like MoO2's ship range boosts or our limited ship repair techs), but i don't think it would be best in all circumstances.

Sometimes an entirely superior part is significant enough that you should be required to build a new ships to field it. (or at least return them to a shipyard for some kind of refitting) I think weapons fall in this category. It gives the player too much of an arbitrary, instant advantage if he can increase the destructive power of a fleet far into enemy territory by just researching a tech.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Dart00_Tech »

What about a "Upgrade Ships" Button on each one of our fleets....and when clicked it would "Upgrade" all the weapons in that fleet to the latest upgrade at a cost depending on how many instances it needs to upgrade?

Also it is annoying to upgrade a new part and have to go back to all your custom designs and manually spend dozens of clicks removing a upgrading.

When I research a ship upgrade like "Laser 2". I never touch "Laser 1" ever again....

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#8 Post by em3 »

Dart00_Tech wrote:What about a "Upgrade Ships" Button on each one of our fleets....and when clicked it would "Upgrade" all the weapons in that fleet to the latest upgrade at a cost depending on how many instances it needs to upgrade?
I think that automatic, free upgrade for refinements, while fleet is out of combat in a system with an owned shipyard (or dry dock) would be enough.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556