Problem with using SVN for the first time

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Rogor
Space Floater

Problem with using SVN for the first time

#1 Post by Rogor »

I just downloaded the SDK for windows. I used ToirtoiseSVN to get the source code. In the middle of the update (I successfully downloaded a lot of data), I got this error message :

Error: Can't check path
Error: 'G:\Programmes\FreeOrion_source\FreeOrion_VS2010_SDK\FreeOrion\default\data\art\icons\building\camp?.png':
Error: La syntaxe du nom de fichier, de répertoire ou de volume est incorrecte.

The problem seems to be with the '?' in the filename, even if this file does not appear to exist when browsing the source in a browser. Any idea to solve this ?

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Problem with using SVN for the first time

#2 Post by eleazar »

There was a point when i put "?" in some unused filenames. But this was reverted a long time ago.

Can you delete that file by hand? Or are you pulling from an earlier version of the project?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

How do you "[use] ToirtoiseSVN to get the source code"?

I don't know why it'd try to create a file that's not in the latest version, and no-one else has reported this issue recently, so I suspect you're doing something unusual to do the update... As for how to fix it, I don't know... Maybe delete the relevant directory entirely ( default\data\art\icons\building\ ) and update again, or try the SVN Clean Up command on the repository.

Rogor
Space Floater

#4 Post by Rogor »

I downloaded the last version of TortoiseSVN and retried, and it worked. But now I have a compilation problem.

I opened the .sln file in FreeOrion_VS2010_SDK\FreeOrion\msvc2010. I tried to build the whole solution, and it failed with a lot of "Cannot open include file" error, including GG, boost, etc .... Then I found this thread : viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6172. So I switch from "Debug Win32" to "Release Win32", I cleaned the solution an rebuilt it. I still have some "Cannot open include file" errors, but it seems to be only related to boost.

Here is the beginning of the build output :

1>------ Build started: Project: GiGi, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: Common, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Build started 29/10/2012 17:59:45.
2>Build started 29/10/2012 17:59:45.
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1> Touching "Release\GiGi.unsuccessfulbuild".
2>InitializeBuildStatus:
2> Touching "Release\Common.unsuccessfulbuild".
2>ClCompile:
2> CombatOrder.cpp
2> AsteroidBeltObstacle.cpp
1>ClCompile:
1> AlignmentFlags.cpp
1> Base.cpp
1>G:\Programmes\FreeOrion_source\FreeOrion_VS2010_SDK\FreeOrion\GG\GG/Base.h(45): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/cstdint.hpp': No such file or directory
1> BrowseInfoWnd.cpp
1>G:\Programmes\FreeOrion_source\FreeOrion_VS2010_SDK\FreeOrion\GG\GG/Base.h(45): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/cstdint.hpp': No such file or directory
1> Button.cpp
1> ClrConstants.cpp
1> Control.cpp
1> Cursor.cpp
1> ColorDlg.cpp
2>g:\programmes\freeorion_source\freeorion_vs2010_sdk\freeorion\combat\opensteer\Vec3.h(56): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/serialization/access.hpp': No such file or directory
2> CombatFighter.cpp
1> FileDlg.cpp
1> ThreeButtonDlg.cpp
2>g:\programmes\freeorion_source\freeorion_vs2010_sdk\freeorion\combat\opensteer\Vec3.h(56): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'boost/serialization/access.hpp': No such file or directory

Any configuration step that I'm missing ?

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Rogor wrote:I switch from "Debug Win32" to "Release Win32"
??? Why does it have a Debug configuration again? Apparently it appeared when I added a new project, but it wasn't something I did explicitly. I'll remove it... again.
1> BrowseInfoWnd.cpp
1> Button.cpp
Is "Programmes" the equivalent of Program Files on english versions of Windows? If so, you might need to move the source code somewhere else, as putting things in Program Files has weird effects, even on Admin accounts.

Otherwise... That's weird.

How did you check out the code after unzipping the SDK? What are the immediate contents of the SDK directory? There should be Boost, FreeOrion, include, and lib directories, and a couple files. Does Boost have include/boost_1_51/boost in it? Does that directory have cstdint.hpp in it? In MSVC, for the GiGi project's properties, Configuration Properties section, C/C++ section, General section, does Additional Include Directories have "../../../Boost/include/boost_1_51/" as one of its entries?

Rogor
Space Floater

#6 Post by Rogor »

I found the problem.

In the project configuration, the include path for boost is configured as Boost/include/boost_1_51/ But the SDK contains only a Boost/include/boost_1_47/ folder. This mismatch of version causes the error.

For now I have updated the include paths to use the 1.47 version of boost and I got some warnings (in GiGi and log4cpp mostly), but no errors so far.

I have compiled GiGi, Common, OIS and I'm compiling Parsers right now. I will update this post when the compilation will be finished.

Edit : Sorry I haven't seen your reply, I was writing this. And no, I created the folder "G:/Programmes" and it is different from "C:/Programmes" as far as I know.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Rogor wrote:But the SDK contains only a Boost/include/boost_1_47/ folder.
You're using an outdated SDK then. Get the latest version, dated 1 Sept 2012.

Rogor
Space Floater

#8 Post by Rogor »

Oh, my bad. When I chose the SDK I didn't pay attention to the year, only the month. So I was using the Oct 2011 SDK instead of the Sept 2012.

Thanks for the support.