Xgzhu

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Ermine Violinist
Space Krill

Xgzhu

#1 Post by Ermine Violinist »

World Type- Any (planet bound, sort of)
Name- Xgzhu
Summary – Hostile alien species whose life cycle starts as a vicious insect and ends as a large fungi.
Physiology and Psychology – The Xgzhu are an insect race whose large numbers are used to overwhelm enemies. Amoung the Xgzhu there is no conflict ever. However, the do not tolerate any other race but their own to live. After a Xgzhu dies it becomes one of a dozen different specialized fungi. Some produce a purple light that the Xgzhu require for proper health, some produce food, others produce pods that the insect version of the Xgzhu hatch from, and some become “space pods.” Space pods are launched into space and high speeds in hopes they land on and populate another planet/moon/asteroid. The Xgzhu have no technology, no diplomacy, and no interstellar ships. However, their physiology does allow them to travel through a planet’s atmosphere and attack orbiting ships as a swarm (still too slow for interstellar travel).
Social Structure – The Xgzhu are of one mind, they honor the “ancestors” (Xgzhu in Fungi form), completely take over any planet their space pods lands on, and kills anyone they come in contact with.

Homeworld – unkown

History & reason for leaving the home planet – Space pods are launched at regular intervals from any Xgzhu inhabited planet. These pods are launched from another mutated ancestor that acts as an organic launching pad.

Race Attributes – Strong in combat, numerous, but without technology. The best way of defeating them would be to bombard the planet, killing the ancestors (source of food and reproduction) repeatedly rather than face the fearsome insect Xgzhu in combat.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Xgzhu

#2 Post by eleazar »

Thanks for moving your posts.

I don't think what you describe is currently possible, but a "space monster" like this that takes over planets would be pretty cool.

Ermine Violinist
Space Krill

#3 Post by Ermine Violinist »

Yes, so I posted these while downloading, armed with nothing but a quick read of the how to play section. I realize that I (or someone else) will have to "retool" a few ideas! Now that I have played a bit, I see some of the things do not work...

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

Ermine Violinist wrote:Yes, so I posted these while downloading, armed with nothing but a quick read of the how to play section. I realize that I (or someone else) will have to "retool" a few ideas! Now that I have played a bit, I see some of the things do not work...
You don't need to strictly limit yourself to what the game can currently do. You can write to try to inspire new features, if you want.

Ermine Violinist
Space Krill

#5 Post by Ermine Violinist »

(Version 2.0!)

Space Monsters

Name- Xgzhu (or maybe Myrmidons?)

Summary – Hostile alien species whose life cycle starts as a vicious insect and ends as a large fungi.

Physiology and Psychology – The Xgzhu are an insect race whose large numbers are used to overwhelm enemies. Among the Xgzhu there is no conflict, ever. The Xgzhu have three distinct stages in their life cycle: larva, insect, fungi. After a Xgzhu evolves past its insect from it becomes one of over a dozen different specialized fungi. These fungi combine to become part of a massive biological ship, called Hives, that attack planets and ships in search of organic matter to feed the Hive.

Some of the specialized fungal forms produce a green bioluminescent light that the Xgzhu hive requires, some produce food, others produce pods that incubate the larval Xgzhu, some are capable of producing plasma charges for attack, others become large living quarters with a hard exterior, some produce a crude propulsion system, others are used to carry pheromone information between subsystems, and a few become “brain-shrooms” that act as key information and decision making hubs. These fungi require biological material to survive and grow. This need causes the Xgzhu to aggressively attack other creatures or be forced to sacrifice insect Xgzhu who will not go through the transformation. The Xgzhu have no technology or diplomacy.

The Xgzhu communicate predominately through pheromones through sounds and movement are used as well.

Social Structure – The Xgzhu are of one mind, they honor the “ancestors” (Xgzhu in Fungi form), and kill anyone they come in contact with. The larva are instinctual simple creatures, the insect version are about as smart as a dog but operate as a collective (like an ant colony), and the Fungi for the most part react instinctually but the “brain-shrooms” are about as intelligent as a chimp.

Homeworld – unkown

Race Attributes

+ Strong in space combat (multiple plasma weapons)
+ Strong in planetary combat (high populations of insects on ships)
+ successful combats attacks strengthens ship/landing troops (biological material consumed by fungi)
+ ships automatically regain health each turn (biological)
- poor stealth (the ship glows green, at all times)
- no technology
- slow attack/response (information passed along networks that communicate pheromones, slower than computers or human reflexes)
- reduced movement (biological propulsion inferior to mechanical ones)

Ermine Violinist
Space Krill

#6 Post by Ermine Violinist »

Looks like:
Attachments
Xgzhu.jpg
Xgzhu.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 2160 times