Removing Minerals?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

psusi
Space Krill

Re: Removing Minerals?

#16 Post by psusi »

I still don't understand why minerals were removed, nor do I like how the game now feels without them.

With minerals, you could stockpile them. Having "wasted" production was not entirely a waste because it meant that you were stockpiling more minerals. Thus, if you were about to research a new ship tech, you did not feel like you HAD to keep producing the soon to be obsolete ships.

Now without minerals, not only is there less strategy involved with fewer foci, but also you tend to ramp up production very quickly and start spitting out multiple ships per turn quite early.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by eleazar »

psusi wrote:With minerals, you could stockpile them. Having "wasted" production was not entirely a waste because it meant that you were stockpiling more minerals. Thus, if you were about to research a new ship tech, you did not feel like you HAD to keep producing the soon to be obsolete ships.
I agree with that point. My goal is to make production stock-pileable -- though i need to convince some other people.
psusi wrote:Now without minerals, not only is there less strategy involved with fewer foci, but also you tend to ramp up production very quickly and start spitting out multiple ships per turn quite early.
Yeah, the foci are a little lean now, but we're focused on the future when more will be added.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#18 Post by Zireael »

More foci? Does that mean we'll get working trade soon?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:Does that mean we'll get working trade soon?
Define "mean", "working trade", and "soon".

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#20 Post by marhawkman »

The game is definately a lot different without mining, but I honestly like it better. It's not as micromanagement intensive. Before you had to keep balancing your mineral production to keep from going in the hole. IMO this way is better.
Computer programming is fun.