Basic Outposts

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Basic Outposts

#46 Post by eleazar »

Bigjoe5 wrote:
marhawkman wrote:question: how does that interact with Phototrophic?
I'm not sure what you mean... If a planet has a target population of 0, it has a target population of 0, regardless of the metabolism type of the inhabiting species
Or at least it will if we script the effects correctly...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#47 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, just for clarification: does current pop or target pop determine "outpost"/"colony" status?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#48 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Ok, just for clarification: does current pop or target pop determine "outpost"/"colony" status?
At present, neither. To-be-written content that defines "outpost" will determine the answer to that... I suspect current population would be the relevant number, though.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#49 Post by marhawkman »

Bigjoe5 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean... If a planet has a target population of 0, it has a target population of 0, regardless of the metabolism type of the inhabiting species
This might have changed since the last time I DL'd a new version, but the last version I Dl'd gave you a target Pop boost based on star type if you had Phototrophic.
Computer programming is fun.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#50 Post by Bigjoe5 »

marhawkman wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote:
This might have changed since the last time I DL'd a new version, but the last version I Dl'd gave you a target Pop boost based on star type if you had Phototrophic.
Yes... And if your target population is still 0 after that boost, you will have a planet on which you can build an outpost.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#51 Post by marhawkman »

The question was about what happens if you use an outpost module at a blue star(etc..) Phototrophic would add a lot to that location.
Computer programming is fun.

eleazar

#52 Post by eleazar »

marhawkman wrote:The question was about what happens if you use an outpost module at a blue star(etc..) Phototrophic would add a lot to that location.
Nothing. (Once the new scripts are squared away)
Phototrophic should allow population on a planet that would otherwise support zero.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#53 Post by em3 »

I'm wondering if there would be a strategic advantage to having outpost instead of colony, and would the auto-upgrading (once a growth boost becomes available) to colony status be an annoyance.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Geoff the Medio

#54 Post by Geoff the Medio »

em3 wrote:...would [zero-population colonies growing automatically] be an annoyance.
The growth rate formula [edit]is[/edit] implemented as a fraction of the current population. In that case, if a colony has zero population ("is an outpost"), it will never grow, as 0 * finite_number = 0, regardless of what its target population is, or whether the target changes.

eleazar

#55 Post by eleazar »

Has there been any other developments since the last post in the Outpost area?
I'm back from vacation, and i'll take a look at polishing up the scripting first.

The latest OsX binary is 4932, about 30 commits behind, but browsing through the commit log, it doesn't look like any of it applies to outposts.
EDIT: Never-mind, Vezzra uploaded a new binary just now.

eleazar

#56 Post by eleazar »

OK, been messing around with it.
It seems that "Colony" type parts with a capacity of zero (i.e. outpost modules) don't work. You can build ships with them, and attempt to colonize a planet. The interface works up to the point where you hit the "colonize" button, but when you end the turn nothing changes. The interface still acts like you just hit that button, green flag and everything. No outpost is actually built.

For now i can get around it by building a "capacity = .000001" part, but that's not desirable, as on a decent planet that would turn into a colony with countable population.

Geoff the Medio

#57 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:It seems that "Colony" type parts with a capacity of zero (i.e. outpost modules) don't work. You can build ships with them, and attempt to colonize a planet. The interface works up to the point where you hit the "colonize" button, but when you end the turn nothing changes. The interface still acts like you just hit that button, green flag and everything. No outpost is actually built.
I don't think I actually tested that case... I was mainly concerned with being able to colonize zero-target-population planets, and retain control of depopulated colonies.

Edit: Should be fixed in SVN. Hopefully one can colonize zero target population planets and/or colonize with zero capacity colony ships, and hopefully the ability of species to colonize is still respected properly. At present I think this means that species that can't colonize can't make any colonies, including zero-population colonies, even though such a colony has no species on it, but I think this is OK.

eleazar

#58 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Edit: Should be fixed in SVN.
Thanks.

Further enquiry.
It looks like now a colony or outpost can be built at any planet, GG or asteroid field. It is possible to limit the founding of colonies via scripts?

Also, i planted a colony on a lousy world and watched it die. The production of research started falling after population reached 0, but persists for several turns afterwards before research dries up completely.

Geoff the Medio

#59 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:It is possible to limit the founding of colonies via scripts?
Don't know what you mean; could you be more explicit / detailed?
Also, i planted a colony on a lousy world and watched it die. The production of research started falling after population reached 0, but persists for several turns afterwards before research dries up completely.
That's expected... In terms of game mechanics, the research meter moves towards the target research, which was presumably 0 after the colony depopulated, but won't get there immediately (on its own).

eleazar

#60 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:It is possible to limit the founding of colonies via scripts?
Don't know what you mean; could you be more explicit / detailed?
For instance if i wanted to prevent the construction of new colonies on hostile/uninhabitable planets unless the "environmental encapsulation" tech was researched.