Interesting Game

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

redindus
Space Floater

Interesting Game

#1 Post by redindus »

Back then when i was playing MoO2 was amazing and couldnt go back play like i use to though. MoO3 wasnt that great but okay and still looking for another Orion game, surprisely i missed this for so long. When i launch the game, wasnt many species to choose from and what they are and their bios as well backgrounds. Anyway i like playing alien species, like the movie aliens that i have imported as well modded Distant Worlds. Also modded alot of other games too.

Not sure how much progress is made here and what we all are looking for, want to say if i wanted to play the Alien race and import that in FreeOrion do i need ask someone before i do? Or just simply keep it to myself?? When first install the game couldnt find the guide, only ingame pedia and wasnt sure what other races was added when the game started. I checked the screenshots and videos on youtube, wanted to see how the combat systems is laid out and as well invasion to planets. So havent checked out the codes on how to add races or species yet, is it modable?

Just looked at the new release game called Endless Space, wasnt sure if that game is any good, but for that price listed on Steam is reasonable and fair. Been looking for another space game and havent found many and would like to thank for the people made this.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Interesting Game

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

redindus wrote:...if i wanted to play the Alien race and import that in FreeOrion do i need ask someone before i do? Or just simply keep it to myself??
Is "the Alien race" something from another game, movie, book, or similar, and what do you mean by "import that"?

Assuming "yes" and "have it as a playable species in FreeOrion": You would need to edit species.txt and probably eng_stringtable.txt (or another stringtable) to create a species with suitable properties for "the Alien race", and suitable stringtable entires.

As for legality, if your modifications are just a modified entry in species.txt and a few stringtable entires that say "Alien", then there's nothing you can't post wherever you want (under a CC-BY-SA and/or GPL 2.0 license). "Alien" specifically is a very generic term that probably isn't copyrightable. And even if you wanted to make a "Vulcans" or "Transformers" or "Rebel Alliance" species, I doubt anyone would care if the only thing specific to those properties is the name and you wanted to post a modified text file, however we won't add any such race to the stock species shipping with FreeOrion.
So havent checked out the codes on how to add races or species yet, is it modable?
To add species, you'd need to modify species.txt in the default directory. The format is (roughly) discussed on this page, though you'd probably want to make some posts on the content creation forum to ask about how to do specific things.

redindus
Space Floater

#3 Post by redindus »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
redindus wrote:...if i wanted to play the Alien race and import that in FreeOrion do i need ask someone before i do? Or just simply keep it to myself??
Is "the Alien race" something from another game, movie, book, or similar, and what do you mean by "import that"?

Assuming "yes" and "have it as a playable species in FreeOrion": You would need to edit species.txt and probably eng_stringtable.txt (or another stringtable) to create a species with suitable properties for "the Alien race", and suitable stringtable entires.

As for legality, if your modifications are just a modified entry in species.txt and a few stringtable entires that say "Alien", then there's nothing you can't post wherever you want (under a CC-BY-SA and/or GPL 2.0 license). "Alien" specifically is a very generic term that probably isn't copyrightable. And even if you wanted to make a "Vulcans" or "Transformers" or "Rebel Alliance" species, I doubt anyone would care if the only thing specific to those properties is the name and you wanted to post a modified text file, however we won't add any such race to the stock species shipping with FreeOrion.
So havent checked out the codes on how to add races or species yet, is it modable?
To add species, you'd need to modify species.txt in the default directory. The format is (roughly) discussed on this page, though you'd probably want to make some posts on the content creation forum to ask about how to do specific things.
Thank for feedbacks, yes i mean the Aliens from the movie and i know you cant put that in there without copyright premissions. I manage to change the portaits for starting species for more tastes and Bios. I guess this can be added as a mod in the future, so others may like to try it out, unless you perfer to keep it to myself. Species.txt is not easy to read or look to change something. I am trying to keep it simple and realistic when i played Distand Worlds Mod i made some time ago.

Here some screenshots i made this morning while working on the mod...

Note i can use different names for species, didnt like plain names like clay, chato, etcs. Having realistic images of species would really attract players into the game, might wanna increase the size to get a better pic. Some players would like to play something more on edges, for example total domination or dont care about other races. Leaving other options open will lead more options for players can choose from, unless can customize their own races. Also like having random galaxy every time start a new game, so it wouldnt be the samnthing over and over.

redindus
Space Floater

#4 Post by redindus »

There are many music themes out there that will make this game really shine and relaxing while playing. Came across many good themes from youtube, if you have good recording softwares you can record while listen to it then save/convert into .ogg format. Or can simply mute ingame music and play this in the background. Also wouldnt hurt to have .txt file to play different themes in order from another directory or even random themes.

Try browsing around, never know you guys might find what you like to listen to while playing, here the link i mention...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoI9sNKb ... ure=g-vrec

Gen_
Space Krill

#5 Post by Gen_ »

:lol:

Okay, I love the enthusiasm, seriously, but you cant just go around youtube ripping stuff. Well, you can for personal use, but you can't do it for us. All the music used in Orion's official release must abide to a CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

See here: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Audio

Having said that, until the first implementation of audio is complete, I doubt you will be able to add your own sounds as there's no audio folder to substitute files from and no sound-file names referenced in the code. I could be wrong though as I didn't write the code and I'm at my (Mac) workstation so I cant check. If I am, you should just be able to swap resource files out.

redindus
Space Floater

#6 Post by redindus »

Gen_ wrote::lol:

Okay, I love the enthusiasm, seriously, but you cant just go around youtube ripping stuff. Well, you can for personal use, but you can't do it for us. All the music used in Orion's official release must abide to a CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

See here: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Audio

Having said that, until the first implementation of audio is complete, I doubt you will be able to add your own sounds as there's no audio folder to substitute files from and no sound-file names referenced in the code. I could be wrong though as I didn't write the code and I'm at my (Mac) workstation so I cant check. If I am, you should just be able to swap resource files out.
If you contact that guy, you may have his premission to use these space themes in the game. Dont think Steve Roach mind at all, wouldnt hurt to try. And yes i can rewrite the code for audio and music, may have to do some experiments on this to check if it is random or in order, but my guess probably just play that one theme over and over while playing at this time.