hello all :)

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

DarkIcon
Space Krill

hello all :)

#1 Post by DarkIcon »

hi im new to the game just about to try it have to still download it, but it looks really kool form the screen shots :)

let me know if there is any thing i can do to help with the project im quite good at 3d models with blender and with gimp also :)

well any way im gonna check the game out see ya's ^_^

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: hello all :)

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Welcome. If you're good with 3D models, you should check out the Graphics forum. Check out what pd has done for an idea of the level of quality we're looking for. If you're up for it, pick a high-rated species from the list, read up on it, and come up with some ship designs that match the species concept.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

We especially need new ship hull graphics, since currently we have only 2.
Currently i'm more worried about getting more art than meeting pd's very high standards.

For the format we need see the files in:
default/data/art/hulls_design/ < for the large size
default/data/art/misc/ < for the icons

Adrian
Space Floater

#4 Post by Adrian »

Do they have to be future-proof, i mean do they need to be 3D designs that are to survive the transition to the Ogre starmap, or is something that makes a good sideview/icon helpful for now? If the latter, maybe i could think up some designs.

Regarding the image files, what resolution is "enough" in this context. The current sideviews are huge and with a lot of whitespace (to make small ships look small?) around them.

eleazar

#5 Post by eleazar »

Adrian wrote:Do they have to be future-proof, i mean do they need to be 3D designs that are to survive the transition to the Ogre starmap, or is something that makes a good sideview/icon helpful for now? If the latter, maybe i could think up some designs.

Regarding the image files, what resolution is "enough" in this context. The current sideviews are huge and with a lot of whitespace (to make small ships look small?) around them.
Future-proof models and images are of course preferred, but at this point i'll accept decent temporary images.

If you look at the other images, it is only the very small hulls that have a lot of white space. Stick with the same resolution i think, but the smaller hulls don't have to fill the space.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Dart00_Tech »

eleazar wrote:
Adrian wrote:Do they have to be future-proof, i mean do they need to be 3D designs that are to survive the transition to the Ogre starmap, or is something that makes a good sideview/icon helpful for now? If the latter, maybe i could think up some designs.

Future-proof models and images are of course preferred, but at this point i'll accept decent temporary images.

If you look at the other images, it is only the very small hulls that have a lot of white space. Stick with the same resolution i think, but the smaller hulls don't have to fill the space.
I started some simple 3D models in a graphics thread and am planning on making more of a higher poly count (those just range from 102-660). Any feedback would be appreciated, esp if it would help the project. They are not as good as pd's, but they would work for the time being i think? Also they are 3D designs which could be used in combat.

DarkIcon
Space Krill

#7 Post by DarkIcon »

hey guys got the game for my bros windows pc been playing it :D right now i have blender but im having a bit of troble trying to figure out the export of uv maps for models so i went to get Wings 3d i hear it is easyer to uv map and export once i read up on it and see if there is any way i can rotate the cam in the thing with out the mouse i will make some 3d models, but for the time being i will make some new 2d ships for the game i will make them side views just like the ones in game since it will be easer to use them as a refrence for when i make some 3d modles i was also thinking of useing low poly models with 3 textures for each ship a high detaled one medium detaled and low i was thnking of changeing the save quality of the main high detal to lower quality saves so they render faster.

im gonna go look and see what the 2d ships images format is i'll post in a few days my progress on those new 2d ship designes.

i may need help figureing out what the files are though i will post hear if i need help figureing it out i will also make some new fleet ship icons the little tiny ones.

eleazar

#8 Post by eleazar »

feel free to post your questions.

DarkIcon
Space Krill

#9 Post by DarkIcon »

ok i have a question what is the file format for the 3D models in the game or what will they be dose any one know? because i will be useing wings to make the model then do some neat things in blender to the model then take it back in to wings and apply textures might export back to blender to add some finshing things that's my game plain, i like some of the lighting options in blender to for when i take snaps of the models for the design list, was also thinking of making mutiple ship sets for each race olny thing is i need to look at the game while it is runing so i can see the discription of the races if some one could make me a list of all the playable races in the curent build with the races discription so i can get a feel oh how to model there ships, i like to model ships based on the races discription.

it would give me a good feel for the race and how there ship tech should look :) i would do this my self but i would have to pop back and foruth from pc to pc. :shock:
my text files dont format right when i transfur them and i have to use my usb stick. i usely have to go in to the file and edit it to look choerent. :(

any way i will pop back on irc as my forum name if i dont respond it's cause im playing the game on the other pc, or im on this one working on some things but i will check the window time to time, for some resion the icon on the launch bar doe not dance for me when it gets a new msg in the normal channel i think it dose if i get a private chat though :)

oh and i got the pixel sizes form the files in the game folder for both the designs and tiny misc ones :wink:

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

DarkIcon wrote:what is the file format for the 3D models in the game
This post mentions that the model format is OGRE .mesh. You can also have a look at the existing models in default/data/art/combat/meshes . The files are all .mesh for the models, with colour, glow, and normal map .png texture files.
my text files dont format right when i transfur them and i have to use my usb stick. i usely have to go in to the file and edit it to look choerent.
Make sure to save text files as UTF-8 for use in FreeOrion.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#11 Post by Bigjoe5 »

DarkIcon wrote:was also thinking of making mutiple ship sets for each race olny thing is i need to look at the game while it is runing so i can see the discription of the races if some one could make me a list of all the playable races in the curent build with the races discription so i can get a feel oh how to model there ships, i like to model ships based on the races discription.
You should be able to access the english stringtable directly from sourceforge. Also, the races that are currently playable are not necessarily an indication of the final playable races. I would recommend designing ships for one of the following: Gyisache, Eaxaw, Egassem or George. These are the races which off the top of my head, seem to have a consensus to put them in the game. I would hold off on Humans, as the exact incarnation of Humans in the game is yet undetermined. Trith is also in for sure, but pd is already doing them.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

DarkIcon
Space Krill

#12 Post by DarkIcon »

hum it seems i need to find at least one plug in for the .mesh files then lucky i have 2 programs i can get them for if one dont have them the other most liky will :)

oh and i was not talking about the game text files i was talking about .txt files in linux to windows linux has a dirfrent text file thing like note pad in windows, gedit is for linux it dose not have text layout carry over the exzact same as note pad when you transfur one txt from the other or vice versa it has funky lay out most times.

i will look at the pidea files for the race discriptions, i will make ships for all the races even ones your not sure on once i get in to the zone and i get wings down right for textures and all i will be pumping out models and textures as i dont have much of a bussy life, i can not work at most normal jobs cause of my problems, though it is very rough on olny 760 a month i have not gotten any new things for my pc in a year and a half, well i have had some things give to me by my freind and org partner.

DarkIcon is actualy the name of me and my freinds truly free game org we are new to the game making modifying seen but are learning quite quick.

all pc related games we make will be 100% free. :) we will run souly off donations for any thing we make pc related, right now im in the process of figureing things out the olny thing we will make money off of is our phone apps but they will undercut all games apps on the cell market curently and will be very fun and good quality and very cheap, funny thing is it took me longer to learn gimp then it took me to learn most features of blender and wings. :mrgreen:

and i still dont know all of gimp! :shock:

i found a realy kool plug in that would be perfect for textures but that was last year lol before i had much to do with modleing lol.

oh and i notice that you are useing alot of python scripts in the game i do have a question though what is the .pyc ones?

im currently doing light learning on python 3.xxx and im going to learn the later 2.xxx ones what version of python are you useing for the game files?

so i can look in to that version more and mabey learn some things and help out since i will need some thing to do once i finsh the art i plain on doing.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

DarkIcon wrote:.txt files in linux to windows linux has a dirfrent text file thing like note pad in windows, gedit is for linux it dose not have text layout carry over the exzact same as note pad when you transfur one txt from the other or vice versa it has funky lay out most times.
Different OSes have different line ending styles. Use a decent text editor (not notepad) that can save and read in any line ending style and you won't have problems. On Windows, I use Komodo Edit, which can be downloaded free.
oh and i notice that you are useing alot of python scripts in the game i do have a question though what is the .pyc ones?
.pyc files are compiled python scripts which the interpreter generates whenever it runs a .py file. This speeds up the interpreter loading of the same script later.
im currently doing light learning on python 3.xxx and im going to learn the later 2.xxx ones what version of python are you useing for the game files?
Python 2.7. For FreeOrion purposes, the differences aren't important, as far as I know, other than that you might see some print "whatever" instead of print("whatever"). The latter also works in 2.7, though.

DarkIcon
Space Krill

#14 Post by DarkIcon »

i found an .mesh plug in but it has a very old version of python that it is writen in. i hope it works cause i the other plug in i found on the ogre site is for a very old version of blender...

i have learned on the newest version of blender but i dont know about down gradeing that far lol..

so now i guess i have to figure out how to install it so i can try it out. i realy hope it works lol..

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by pd »

Don't worry about the exporting to .mesh. You don't need to do that.