Linux GiGi compile problem

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

malevolent
Space Krill

Re: Linux GiGi compile problem

#16 Post by malevolent »

Same result on Ubuntu 11.10, after commenting AdamParser, make stops on EveParser, just like muuus. If I comment EveParser on src/CMakeList.txt if fails building ExpressionParser.cpp.o, and if I comment this last, finally fails on TestAdamParser.cpp.o...

I strongly believe that ubuntu is not made to compile FO. (I don't mind so much, I'm an Arch user, but my computer is not working at the momentand I was trying to made it work under a netbook with Ubuntu).

I give up. It seems impossible to me.

Anyway, I would like to the developers the awesome job done in this project. Please continue this way! :D

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

malevolent wrote:...after commenting AdamParser, make [...] fails on TestAdamParser.cpp.o...
That's not surprising (that test code for something you commented out won't build). Try commenting out the test stuff as well. None of the GiGi Adam or Eve stuff is needed for FreeOrion. On Windows, the GiGi source files that are built are:

Code: Select all

AlignmentFlags.cpp
Base.cpp
BrowseInfoWnd.cpp
Button.cpp
ClrConstants.cpp
Control.cpp
Cursor.cpp
dialogs\ColorDlg.cpp
dialogs\FileDlg.cpp
dialogs\ThreeButtonDlg.cpp
DrawUtil.cpp
DropDownList.cpp
DynamicGraphic.cpp
Edit.cpp
EventPump.cpp
Font.cpp
GroupBox.cpp
GUI.cpp
Layout.cpp
ListBox.cpp
Menu.cpp
MultiEdit.cpp
PtRect.cpp
ReportParseError.cpp
Scroll.cpp
StaticGraphic.cpp
StyleFactory.cpp
TabWnd.cpp
TextControl.cpp
Texture.cpp
Timer.cpp
UnicodeCharsets.cpp
Wnd.cpp
WndEvent.cpp
ZList.cpp
The GiGiOgre and GiGiOgrePlugin_OIS projects have a few additional files.
...ubuntu is not made to compile FO.
Describing this as an Ubuntu problem is odd...

malevolent
Space Krill

#18 Post by malevolent »

There weren't any test related stuff to comment out, at least, anything I could see...

I don't like to be categorical, but since there is no -updated- instructions on the wiki and since there is no one in this forum that succcesfully compiled FO on this distro, neither there are static binaries anywhere (and they were on earlier versions) on the internet, one can think that ubuntu simply it doesn't do the job at the moment.

I will investigate a bit more, I'm now looking at arch linux AUR repository and it seems that it works, I'm seeing that boost must be 1.49 or greater, and I tested with ubuntu's default, 1.46 and then with 1.48, but not with 1.49.
Let's see...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

malevolent wrote:There weren't any test related stuff to comment out, at least, anything I could see...
There's something in your build setup that's causing the CMakeLists.txt in GG/test to be used, which is added a bunch of files to compile including AdamTestParser.cpp. There's probably a setting to turn this off. If not, there's probably something in the main GG CMakeLists.txt that could be commented out. My guess is the "add_subdirectory(test)" line.
malevolent wrote:...I'm seeing that boost must be 1.49 or greater
CMakeLists.txt for GG says:

Code: Select all

MINIMUM_BOOST_VERSION 1.47.0
so I don't think 1.49 is needed. On Windows, FO and GG build find with 1.47.

malevolent
Space Krill

#20 Post by malevolent »

Since I've already tested with 1.48, I'm going to see if there are any test stuff to comment out

Thank you. :D